Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 and linksys wrt54g troubles

Last response: in Wireless Networking
April 1, 2010 11:02:15 PM

Hello,
I have a linksys wrt54g routher that was working fine. connecting a hp laptop with xp was fine. Got a new desktop and wired it up to the routher and an older desktop with xp. both desktops worked fine. I then went to the linksys website to configure the wireless for my hp. upon completing that set up and checking that the laptop was connected and working, my xp desktop functioned fine but my windows 7 desktop would no longer connect to the internet. I tried changing the setttings in the linksys website to TKS or whatever it is and still no luck. any assistance would be great!
Anonymous
April 2, 2010 7:10:44 AM

By Linksys website I assume you mean the setup screens within the Linksys (they're HTML pages so you can access them via your browser).

If the problem computer connects okay with wireless security disabled in the router then wireless security is the issue. The norm is WPA PSK TKIP and you should be able to apply that standard wireless security type and the passphrase to any current wireless adapter.

The other possible issue is the Win 7 driver for the wireless adapter -- go to the computer maker's site and download the latest driver.
m
l
April 5, 2010 12:43:43 AM

Thanks! I'll give it a try!

Quote:
By Linksys website I assume you mean the setup screens within the Linksys (they're HTML pages so you can access them via your browser).

If the problem computer connects okay with wireless security disabled in the router then wireless security is the issue. The norm is WPA PSK TKIP and you should be able to apply that standard wireless security type and the passphrase to any current wireless adapter.

The other possible issue is the Win 7 driver for the wireless adapter -- go to the computer maker's site and download the latest driver.

m
l
!