Core i7 CPU and mobo w integrated GPU?

rubberchicken

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2010
Hey all,

I'm looking to build a budget PC and I've a question about the i7 860 Lynnfield CPU. From the comments I've read on Newegg, most of the socket 1156 motherboards integrated GPUs will only work with i3 and i5 cores, but when you use an i7 you can't use the integrated GPU and have to purchase an additional graphics card. So my question is: Will I be able to use a motherboard with an integrated GPU and this processor?

Thanks in advance!

Wolygon

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
^ Err...You got that one wrong...Or not.

Hello you are correct on not being able to run the i7 with IGP. This is because the IGP is no longer on the board and instead it is on the CPU. The i3 and i5 (not the 7XX) have the IGP where as the i7 does not.

Therefore you cannot use the i7 with integrated graphics. Anyway what are you using your PC for? Most high end things that require an i7 would benefit from a GPU majorly. So I suggest dropping your processor choice to something like an i3 530 or Phenom II then buying a graphics card.

Good luck

The i3 and i5 clarkdale 32nm processors have a gpu integrated. To use that gpu, you will need a motherboard that uses the H55 or H57 chipset. The integrated graphics is suitable for internet work, and playing movies. For gaming, it will not be very good for fast action games, and a discrete graphics card is advised. The clarkdale chips are very good, and probably a better chip than the i7-860 for most purposes if you do not require quad cores.

For the I7 series, there is no integrated graphics, and a discrete graphics card will be required. Normally, you will use a P55 based motherboard. You can use a H55/H57 based motherboard, but it is somewhat pointless since there is no gpu on the processor for the H55/H57 chipset to activate. In the past, there have been motherboards with an added gpu chip on the motherboard, but I don't think there are any such motherboards out that use the P55 chipset.

If you are in no hurry, "sandy Bridge" processors are due out 1Q 2011. They will also have integrated graphics which are about as strong as today's $50 discrete graphics card.

TRENDING THREADS