Sign in with
Your question

BIOSTAR TA785GE Motherboard

Last response: in Systems
February 4, 2010 3:09:18 PM

Hello,
I have access to a BIOSTAR AM3/AM2+/AM2 DDR2 AMD 785G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard TA785GE 128M. I haven't made use of it yet. I'm considering putting in a AMD quad core, perhaps x4 945 or 955, as well as perhaps a series 5000 radeon gpu. The motherboard says it has a pci-e and lists as AM3/AM2+/AM2, so I'm thinking this will work. But I don't have experience with hardware on this level, and I'd really rather not make a mistake and find that these parts aren't compatible, and that I've just melted a bunch of valuable parts. Anyone know if these parts will be ok in that admittedly cheap motherboard?
February 4, 2010 4:19:00 PM

Neither should melt you board unless it's a bad board or you put something in wonky. For CPU compatibility, check the Biostar website. You want to know what rev of the BIOS you need to support the Phenom II X4 and make sure the TDP rating of the processor is not above what the manufacturer suggests as the maximum.

I can't see any reason the video card would not be compatible out of the box. You might just need to tell the BIOS to init the video from PCI instead of internal. I know in my Gigabyte 780G board that was the default and all that was left to do was turn off the internal "VGA" as they call it.

!