IRQL not less or equal Windows xp

lwidas

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
I recently tried installing Virtual DJ as a demo on my Win XP Pro comp, When I did I got the blue screen and IRQL not less or equal. I'm pretty experienced and tried safe mode and safe mode with networking and command prompt, nothing loads comes back with the same error. I'm thinking I may have downloaded a virus or worm because it was late and I wasn't really paying attention to everything I clicked on. This really Sucks!!! Any help you guys can offer is greatly appreciated I have another comp to work on as well as a laptop and I can do whatever is needed. Thanks the specs are below.

AMD Phenom 9600 Agena 2.3GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 2MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 95W

ECS BLACK SERIES A780GM-A AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

OCZ 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5\" Internal Hard Drive - OEM

1 LG DVD Rom

Coolmax / V-400 / 400-Watt

Solution
If you're sure it's a virus (which rarely causes BSODs), just Google the file name with virus. Other than that, just run a virus scan (AVG is a good free one).

Did you run Window's memory tester or the actual MemTest? They're quite different...

Another possible problem is that Windows 7 didn't install correctly. Have you tried reinstalling it?
BSOD are rarely caused by software, and the one you got typically indicates that either your CPU is overheating or you have some bad RAM.

Download Prime95 and Real Temp (see Step 10 of the "Step-by-Step Guide to Building a PC" sticky for links). Run these for a few hours and see the temperature of the CPU.

Next, download MemTest86+. Burn the image to a physical CD and boot from it. Let it run overnight. This will test the RAM and see if it's all working.

After that, the troubleshooting gets a little more difficult. So try those and report back.

lwidas

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
It's not the core temp or the mem already dual booted another copy of win xp pro on a separate partition and it works fine. Ran mem test and no errors in memory. I disconnected all non essential devices and pci cards. Bsod only happens on boot of initial win XP. Question, Is there anyway to modify the registry from the second os?

lwidas

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
Okay I found the file I downloaded thinking it was a virtual dj demo. IT doesn't look like a legitimate install file it looks like something else. is there anything anyone knows of that would cause this kind of problem? If I upload the file somewhere can someone analyze in and tell me how to undo whatever it is that it did?

If you're sure it's a virus (which rarely causes BSODs), just Google the file name with virus. Other than that, just run a virus scan (AVG is a good free one).

Did you run Window's memory tester or the actual MemTest? They're quite different...

Another possible problem is that Windows 7 didn't install correctly. Have you tried reinstalling it?

Solution