Sign in with
Your question

Overheated and Shut off. Now long loading times. help!

Last response: in Windows XP
September 16, 2012 7:10:56 PM

Everything has been fine on my older home built computer for years. Its got a new hard drive and still good enough to play current modern games.

So yesturday it hit the 100F degree mark here in my house, meaning my computer had to probably be around 130F if not more. During GTAIV I got the blue screen of death. I never get this. Computer restarts fine and back to the game. A little while later during GTAIV the computer just shuts off completely as if the power in my house just went out. The fan in my room was still on, the lights in the room were still on. So I thought this was really weird. I turned my computer back on and it took over 10 minutes to load back into windows. After it loads back into windows everything works fine. Im even using this computer to type this right now.

I did a scan disk check and reports were fine. I did a virus check and no viruses. I did a system restore and still a 10 minute loading time.

So what the heck happened and whats going on?
September 17, 2012 1:45:12 AM

The cause is most likely due to hardware issues. My first guesses would be the power supply, video card. Some power outages if you can call it that, are quick and all you see is the lights flicker once, but if you don't use a power surge protector, your computer may shut off. So the obvious question would be, do you have power surge protection?.

Check if the Event Viewer has registered anything at the time of the blue screen of death. Right click on My Computer\Event Viewer.

Also, the blue screen of death error codes should be registered in the Minidump.dmp file... you can read the Minidump file from the command prompt with Dumpchk but for some reason that doesn’t seem to work at least on my system.. so I use Debugging Tools for Windows XP to read the minidump file or open Dumpchk.exe. To read the minidump file with Debugging Tools, open the application WinDbg from the start menu, and from the application’s File menu, click on Open Crash Dump\select Minidump.dmp and see if it registered any error codes. To open Dumpchk.exe from Debugging tools\file menu, Open Source File\browse to C:\Program Files\Debugging Tools for Windows (x86)\Dumpchk.exe, and see if it registered any error codes.

I include links instructions on how to create a new minidump file in case Debugging Tools has problems reading the one in your system.

How to configure Windows to create MiniDump files on BSOD
http://blog.nirsoft.net/2010/07/27/how-to-configure-win...

How to Create a Crash / Mini Dump manually for Windows based systems using Dr. Watson
http://www.symantec.com/connect/articles/how-do-i-creat...

Download Debugging Tools for Windows XP
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Programming/Debuggers-Deco...
m
l
September 27, 2012 4:16:03 AM

I just did a system restore point and a lot of prayer and that seemed to work. Thanks.
m
l
Related resources
September 28, 2012 1:56:02 AM

Spitfire7 said:
I just did a system restore point and a lot of prayer and that seemed to work. Thanks.

Good for you... So, you did a second System Restore? maybe the first time you didn't restore to the propper date.
A diskcheck (chkdsk) may have been all that was needed. The apparent power drop situation you experienced may have caused the shutdown and possible disk errors on the hard drive.

So, it would be a good idea to check your hard drive for errors... run the Disk Check from the command prompt, Start\Run\type "chckdsk /f" no quotes and Hit Enter, or from the C:\Properties\Tools\Check now\check both boxes,

Follow the program's suggestion if it asks for confirmation to do a checkdisk during the next boot/restart.
m
l
September 28, 2012 6:22:03 PM

Ahh yes I forgot to mention I did do a disk check after the system restore point.

So a disk check also fixes problems? I thought it just notifies you if there are problems.
m
l
September 29, 2012 4:13:18 AM

Spitfire7 said:
Ahh yes I forgot to mention I did do a disk check after the system restore point.

So a disk check also fixes problems? I thought it just notifies you if there are problems.

Disk check does fix disk sector problems if followed by the /f parameter. If it can't fix bad disk sectors, it isolates them so they won't cause trouble. Check the links for more relative information, and if you have any doubts on your hard drive's condition, install Hard Disk Sentinel to know if it has bad and if many/few sectors and to get an idea about it's remaining lifetime. It has a month's trial period.

Chkdsk (Microsoft.com)
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/window...

How to perform disk error checking in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265/en

Hard Disk Sentinel
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Hard-Disk-Utils/Har...
m
l
April 12, 2013 11:46:32 AM

Spitfire7 said:
Everything has been fine on my older home built computer for years. Its got a new hard drive and still good enough to play current modern games.

So yesturday it hit the 100F degree mark here in my house, meaning my computer had to probably be around 130F if not more. During GTAIV I got the blue screen of death. I never get this. Computer restarts fine and back to the game. A little while later during GTAIV the computer just shuts off completely as if the power in my house just went out. The fan in my room was still on, the lights in the room were still on. So I thought this was really weird. I turned my computer back on and it took over 10 minutes to load back into windows. After it loads back into windows everything works fine. Im even using this computer to type this right now.

I did a scan disk check and reports were fine. I did a virus check and no viruses. I did a system restore and still a 10 minute loading time.

So what the heck happened and whats going on?

it sounds to me you need to apply a thermal liquid in the Processor you can watch youtube for the information
m
l
April 12, 2013 11:49:02 AM

it seems that your Processor need to be healed it also happen in my case i ended up buying a thermal grease to fix the problem , if you dont have an idea how to rear down your machine , i suggest to go to youtube and use the phrase how to teardown then include the model
hope that help!!!
m
l
!