Help please:Put my new build together, it powered up, but blank screen

real world

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2008
Hi guys, here are the components I put together last night.

CPU: i5 750 Lynnfield

Mobo: ASUS P7P55D EVO

RAM: Gskill Rip Jaws

GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 5850

PSU: Corsair HX650w

Case: CM Storm Scout

HSF: CM Hyper 212

Monitor: Samsung 2494SW

HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB

Optical: Lite-on DVD RW

So I put my parts together (this is my first ever build), followed all the instructions, including the step by step sticky on this board. I power up, and all the fans spin, the led lights on the board light up, and none stay lit (a good thing since staying lit would mean a problem in that specific area of the mobo), but the monitor is blank. I power down, reseat the GPU, double check on all the cable connections, power up again, same thing. The fans spin, lights work, but nothing on the monitor screen. Any idea's? It was 2AM after my last try, so I went to bed, figuring I'll give it another try after work today.

I'm going to try my other monitor when I get home, or maybe an HDMI to a small TV I have, just to see if it's the monitor. I don't think it is though, cuz the little box floats on the monitors screen, that says "analog or digital" something. Should I try one stick of RAM to see if it's a bad unit, or would it work just the same if one was faulty, but both seated?

Thanks in advance.

real world

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2008
Thanks guys. I checked that out last night, but it was a little after 2 in the morning, and I had to work today. I'll run through that check list when I get home, and post back with the results.

Let me ask you guys a question while you're here. The Radeon 5850 came with two 6-pin yellow and black cables that connect from the GPU to the PSU. The cables connect into the wider slot on the PSU. The PSU came with cables that say "PCI-E" on them, and they connect into a 4 pin slot on the PSU if I remember it right, and have the same 6 pin on the other end, that fits the card. Which cables should I use for the GPU. The yellow and black it came with, or the one's labeled "PCI-E" that came with the PSU?

real world

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2008
Went through the sticky step by step. Tried the single ram, reset the gpu a couple of times, and then found what seemed to be a case fan cable that wasn't connected. Booted, and finally something is on the monitor. Thanks fellas!

The monitor says:

"Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key"

Here goes!