amvignesh

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
hi guys
every time i play any games, after about 10 minutes my pc restarts. i have asus ati 4890 and amd phenom II 955.these are the temperature stats of my graphics card ( according to ati catalyst)

idle 69 degree celcius
load 92 and above (and then pc restarts)
then i experimented by keeping the side panel of my case open . there was a dramatic decrease in temp.
idle 62 degree celcius
load 82 degee celcius
and this time temp remained stable at abt 82 and my pc didnt restart even after half an hour.
i have a zebronics reaper case. the fan arrangement in it are:
1)120 mm side fan blowing air inside
2)80 mm side fan blowing air outside
3)80 mm exhaust fan at top
the side panel i removed had the first 2 fans. . .the case has slots for two more 120 mm fans in the front and at back.wat is my exact problem and wat should i do to rectify it.is my air circulation wrong .should i install any additional fans . any help will be highly appeciable.
p.s:the temp raise even if i left the ceiling fan in my room off and if the pc runs throughout the night with the ceiling an off, the next morning i find that it has restarted.also i havent done any overclocking. . i donot get any kind of flickering in games at any point even when the temp is at 95 . .and my pc is only abt 7 months old

this is how my case looks

unbreakable926

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
I had a similar problem with my Radeon 4850. If you happen to have a single slot cooler on that card try upgrading to the Iceberq 6 cooler. If its a dual slot cooler and its running hot, try going into the catalyst under overdrive and try turning down the clock settings, especially if its overclocked. If that doesn't work then the only thing I can suggest is reapplying the thermal compound or going with water cooling.

amvignesh

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010

are u sure that will solve the problem . can u please explain why the temperature drops (abt 7-10degree) when the side panel is kept open . . .and also i havent done any overclocking. . i donot get any kind of flickering .the pc just restarts .

gkorjax

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
Take some more pictures of your case. To me, it looks like your cable management is horrid...but it is hard to say. I'd certainly advise a front intake fan and exhausting upwards from the top of the case.

Does the 4850 exhaust from the back? Is its fan working?

From what I've read about the 4850, it runs very hot. Hotter than even your temperatures you've posted. Specifically in this article on Tom's
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-4850,1957-22.html

You should monitor and post your cpu temperatures as it idles and shuts off. Your chip has a max temp of 62 degrees C. It appears to me that you are using the stock cooler, which usually suffices for your chip if you're not overclocking. But perhaps the CPU is just overheating due to bad airflow and that space heater/GPU you have.

Monitor your cpu temps with Hardware monitor or speedfan. Also use cpuz and see what voltage your chip is at.

How much was that case...I can't find a price on their site.

amvignesh

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010

thanks for the reply . according to cpuz my cpu voltage is 1.355v . is it ok .and my graphics card is 4890 not 4850 and its stock cooler is facing down towards the bottom of the case. .the cpu temperature is about 48 degree at idle and 57 degree at load and it remains the same even after keeping the side panel open.but there is a drop in temp of my graphics card (about 7 degree )with the side panel open.. and can you advise me abt the cable management u mentioned . i really have no idea about it .and i have a 80 mm exhaust fan at the top . . .annd the price of the case is Rs.1800(us $ 41)

this is the position of my graphics card fan
13042010186.jpg

gkorjax

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
Well, I was actually hoping someone who has more systems built under their belt would have jumped in on this thread, perhaps someone with a 4890, but here goes my analysis.

From what I see on reviews/comparisons, your 4890 is in fact running a lot hotter than what is normal. I see 69 degrees C at load. I am still not aware if you posted somewhere what the room temperature that your computer is in. Mine is around 20 degrees C, which I think is normal for reviews/comparisons. What is yours?

From your picture, it seems to me that I can see some dust build up in your GPU fan. Have you taken it out and examined it and cleaned it of any substantial clogs? I blew my GPU out with a can of condensed air and I had bits of dust fall out. Your GPU takes air IN from the side of the card...and vents it into the case? My card (not a 4890) , intakes from the case environment, and vents out the back.

Regarding cable management. This refers to getting your cables tucked out of the way so as to optimize airflow. From what I see in your pic, I think there are a few cables in the way of the fans and the heat sinks. All of those molex connecters jump out at me...and I think I see that your CPU fan is obstructed as well. Is it possible in your case to route things more off to one side, or perhaps behind the motherboard? I really can't see if the front panel intake is obstructed or not.

Part of me just thinks you should change cases, if you can't get the temperatures down. An antec 300 has good airflow from what I've read, and usually costs about 50 dollars u.s. on Newegg.

amvignesh

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010

well i live in india . so the room temp is definitely hotter than 20 degree. .and i dont have any front panel intake. i think i have to install additional fans since i dont have fans neither in front nor at rear.i have tried cleaning my gpu fan but cant figure out how to do it so i gave up. . .

unbreakable926

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
Well, I didnt notice the dual slot cooler on your GPU before so thats probably not an issue. I agree with the others that you have to try and reorganize your cables to optimize air flow and try and get a front fan for intake and a rear for out. This simple method of fans almost always seems to work best. In my experience, the side fans seem to throw the air flow off and allow for greater dust build up. Get a can of air, turn off the system and unplug it and try and spray threw the fan, towards the back for your GPU.

gkorjax

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
INDIA?
I just remember reading a post from someone in India and he stated that the normal daily temperatures , without ac is 35 degrees. I bet the tests that reviewers did with your GPU were at 20 C instead of 35, so that explains a lot of the difference...if that is what your room temperature is.

I thought that when I read about your case on the website
http://www.zebronics.net/Zeb_Reaper_T.asp
it seems to me to indicate that there is a spot for a front fan...optional , it says. Do yours not have this? Perhaps something in the front can be removed, opening up the front fan grill?

In any case, I think you need to try and figure out just what the best case scenario is. What I think you should do is get a very powerful portable room fan, take the side of that case off, and blow a gale force breeze into your case, not even caring about the sound issues for the moment. Observe your temps. See how low they can go.
Beyond this...I don't really know what else to suggest.

shovenose

Distinguished
ur graphics card fan is pulling air from the inside of the case, pushing it through the card's heatsnink, and then it goes out the back like its supposed to...
heres what u need to do:
largest possible fan in the bottom front pulling air in, both sides fan pulling air in. rear and top fans pulling air out,
also, try to move the cable out of the way of the airflow.

amvignesh

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010

yes i have an option for installing a fan in the front but i havent so far . . . so guess i have to install one in the front