Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Unmountable boot volume BSOD after format/install from disc

Last response: in Windows XP
September 17, 2012 12:12:15 AM

dell latitude d410 running XPSP1 failed to boot yesterday..previously working fine for 2+ years. simply loop boots to the normal/safe prompt. won't boot to safe mode, etc.

using a bartpe emergency boot CD i was able to copy off some critical files to a USB flash drive. then, i headed off to the recovery console.

might be worth noting that there was a C: recovery partition, and D: was my windows installation drive.

recovery console would not let me log in to D: using the Admin password, but C: allowed me in with no password. changed to D: and ran chkdsk /p

now the real problems began. chkdsk reported several issues (apparently addressed). however, now the D: partition is no longer available. evidently toasted by chkdsk. don't remember the exact error, but something like volume header issues. whatever, i was gonna format and reinstall anyway...my backup was too old and would rather have a fresh install.

booted to the WinXP disc, deleted all partitions, reformatted, began the install. everything apparently so far so good.

reboot, and i get the "unmountable boot volume" BSOD. followed the microsoft KB instruction...set the bios back to default, did chkdsk /r...still no love. "unmountable boot volume" BSOD persists.

tried several variations on the usual format/reinstall but keep getting the same BSOD.

any advice from here?

Best solution

September 17, 2012 12:32:14 AM

I'm going to assume it's the original hard drive that shipped with the laptop? If so it's most likely failing and needs to be replaced.

On a side note: I'd dump Bartpe (hasn't been maintained in years) and switch to UBCD4Win which is a fork of Barts, but much, much better.
September 17, 2012 1:47:43 AM

thanks. yes, original HDD.

main thing i want to confirm is there is no weird MS, Dell bios, or other misc juju that might set a freshly formatted HDD to not be the boot partition (even though i deleted all partitions).

i'm really reluctant to put any $$$ in to this machine, as it's probably worth less than $200 if it was working. putting 1/2 that in to a new HDD only to find out it's either MOBO related would be disappointing.

i also find it curious that the XP CD can format the disk fine, and write files to it. but, it won't run on reboot. makes me still wonder if there's a flag somewhere that needs to be reset.
m
l
Related resources
September 17, 2012 2:08:35 AM

If the problem lies in the boot block area of the drive then you can write all you want and the drive will not be bootable.
m
l
September 17, 2012 3:07:29 AM

FIXMBR didn't help FWIW. i'll see if i can't scrounge up an old drive from the junk drawer.
m
l
September 20, 2012 11:30:40 PM

new hard driver FTW. thanks.
m
l
October 1, 2012 12:02:22 AM

Best answer selected by jamescecorn.
m
l
!