Core i5 750 or Core i5 660

Asad Naqvi

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
My budget is 200$ max. I am not a heavy gammer. I do not do 3d or graphic designing work but need a fast processor for single threaded applications. I am in confusion between the above stated two because one has higher clock and other has higher cores. Kindly help me in choosing the right processor.
Thanks in Advance

Solution
I know it specifically states that the user is only interested in single-threaded apps, but I would still recommend the i5-750.

In single threaded apps, the i5-750 is going to Turbo Boost itself up to 3.2 GHz, so it's not like it's slow. It is also very overclockable and has great efficiency with moderately high overclocks.

I just think the industry as a whole is moving towards more and more cores. If you have the budget for it, why not buy the four cores. Six-core processors are here, and soon to be eight-core for the consumer. I just don't see much sense in getting a dual core UNLESS you are trying to save money. But if you are trying to save money, I would just get the Phenom II X4 955. You still get the four cores, and save fifty...

Raidur

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
The i5 660 would be the best performer for single threaded applications. However, it is vastly overpriced for a dual core.

If two cores is all you need then look at i3. It is extremely overclockable and a decent value (awesome value if you overclock).

Well for single threaded apps, all they can use is 1 thead. so the 2 extra cores on the slower core i5 750 will go to waste.

Meaning the faster dual core, core i5 660 @ 3.33GHz will be better than the slow quad core, core i5 750 @ 2.66 for your needs.

Hope this helps.

surda

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
to help you better with this, what kind of application do you usually run? and do you do just 1 thing at a time or you like to do everything at the same time and wait for it to finsh?

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
i3 - dual-core chip, very overclockable and cheaper than the i5.

And if you get a H55 or H57 chipset motherboard you can use the i3's onboard graphics chip so you don't need a dedicated graphics card (if you're really on a tight budget).

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
I know it specifically states that the user is only interested in single-threaded apps, but I would still recommend the i5-750.

In single threaded apps, the i5-750 is going to Turbo Boost itself up to 3.2 GHz, so it's not like it's slow. It is also very overclockable and has great efficiency with moderately high overclocks.

I just think the industry as a whole is moving towards more and more cores. If you have the budget for it, why not buy the four cores. Six-core processors are here, and soon to be eight-core for the consumer. I just don't see much sense in getting a dual core UNLESS you are trying to save money. But if you are trying to save money, I would just get the Phenom II X4 955. You still get the four cores, and save fifty bucks.

Maybe the op should consider what exactly he needs a "fast processor" for. I mean if you aren't doing gaming or 3d work or multithreaded applications, then why DO you need a fast processor? What single-threaded applications are you running that require a really fast processor?

If all you are doing is email/internet/office apps, you could easily get away with spending $100 on a really fast dual core.

I guess I'm a little confused here on what the op needs but those are my thoughts anyways.

Solution

Raidur

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
Sure the extra power usage/heat/less OC headroom/$80 premium is worth the extra 300mhz from turbo!

Remember guys quad core is overkill for most, and probably will be for the next 3+ years. (If not 5+)

*shrug, my 2 cents.

Ps: I do agree quad is becoming the norm, but not for people who will NEVER use it.