Can't find desktop with core i5 661

solitaryman422

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
I need to replace my tired desktop & am looking for a new one under $1,000. (tower only) Does anyone know why none of the computer companies are installing the core i5 661 in their desktops? You can buy the processor in a retail box, yet for some reason none of the companies are using it in their new desktops??

I'm willing to bet because the core i3 is a cheaper option that doesn't sacrifice too much performance. It only lowers the clockspeed by about .2GHz and removes turbo. All at 32% less cost. Probably a good thing anyway since intel's naming scheme is so confusing. At least in the prebuilt market, people won't be confused about their core i5's being dual cores.

On that note, why not get a core i3? It's cheaper and although it doesn't have turbo, is a strong performer at less cost.

On a side note, building your own computer is much easier than you think.

If you want, tell me your uses for the computer and I'll look up some models I think would be good.

solitaryman422

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010

Thanks for the reply & help, But if you look at both cpu's the 660 is embedded, so if I wanted to upgrade down the road, I would have to buy a new motherboard. The 661 is not embedded. This is why I am looking for a tower with the 661. Thanks anyways

solitaryman422

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010

I probably could build one. I upgraded my ram & added an additional optical drive by myself & I know how to do it, BUT; you see I am a 61 yr. old disabled veteran on Many meds & I don't have the patients anymore. My current pc (which was my 1ST computer 5 yrs. ago)I had custom built by Monarch Computers from Ga. & a yr. after they built my pc, they closed up shop & I selected all the components & software. They just did the build. I got the BSOD twice this week & the pc could deep 6 at any time, but at least I have everything backed up by "Carbonite" Thanks for trying to help... SolitaryMan422

solitaryman422

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
I must have misunderstood intel & wikipedia, that's where I got my info,?? What does embedded mean when they're talking about a processor? Oh well, I don't know what I'm gonna do yet, but I better make up my mind Fast. Again, Thank You for your help!!

From Intel at http://ark.intel.com/FAQ.aspx:

Q: What does “Embedded” mean?

A: Embedded indicates that Intel anticipates shipping the product for an extended period of time. Embedded parts typically need to be procurable for 7+ years, whereas standard parts are typically procurable for 2+ years.

I hope that clears up the confusion.