AMD Phenom II X4 B50 OC questions

nevillethedevil

Honorable
Oct 20, 2012
Hi,
I currently have an AMD Phenom II X4 B50 running at stock 3.10 GHZ on a GA-MA785G-UD3H mobo, The cpu is also using a aftermarket cooler (cant think of the name of it atm) but runs quite well keeping it below 50 degrees celcius on 100% usage.

I am seeking advice on how to overclock this and the voltage increments that should be used, If anyone has any advice on this it would be appreciated.

Cheers.

jasont78

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009

for long life keep the vcore ~1.4v and watch the volts particularly if using any form of llc. take it up a bit at a time (fsb or multiplier) keep it simple, and check for stability or pick a point u think it will hit maybe something like 3.6 and dial back until stable.some other people like to if your a bit more confident take your mulitplier right down find the highest stable fsb then up the multiplier from there just remember it started out as a certified dual core and dont get upset if you dont get to much out of it as a quad. you got a 60 buck upgrade for nothing as it is and being an amd it will get hot and hungry when its pushed!

nevillethedevil

Honorable
Oct 20, 2012

Thanks for the quick response,
If i was to overclock it to 3.5 GHZ what voltage increments should i use?
Sorry for the general questions only just contemplating overclocking now.

jasont78

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009

if you want a 3.5oc start at 1.4vcore and if stable, keep dropping it back a little at a time until u hit the lowest stable point. test with prime 95 or something like that. personally i dont go higher i think they are fine up till 1.45 but if your using any llc it can jump all over the place. theres alot of variables i dont know mobo psu and i generally stick to intels ever since core2's come out (so much faster and easier to overclock, the last 4 cpus i personally owned had a like a min 50% overclock and were not overvolted more than .05v. pentium d 2.66@3.95, e2160 2.5@3.8, q9400 2.66@3.75 and the 2500k 3.3 i havent tried going over 4.4 cos its faster enough as it is). i have only built one sys with a 550phen2 unlocked and it was for a friend and it was a bit skitish when unlocked. btw sorry for going off topic.good luck

no1spank

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
First load up OCCT for stress testing. If you have LLC on your mobo play with setting until the core voltage stays consistent when running OCCT.
On my B50 I found that going over 1.45v caused the computer to have silly little error messages and problems with the sound in Windows.
At 1.45v I ran 3.5ghz with no problems until I rebuilt the computer into a different case and changed the heatsink. Even when I swapped back to the older HS I could only run 3.4ghz. I dropped the voltage to 1.44 and then later realized that the new thermal grease needed a little while to cure. My temps are now quite low so I should be able to run 3.5ghz again, although it runs as well at 3.4 to be honest.

Also run SpeedFan, it will show individual core temps. I found that one of my cores is 20 degrees hotter than the rest, so it isn't quite as good as a chip sold as a quad core and limits the clock.

This might help http://cpuprocessorinfo.com/reviews/overclocking/overclocking-stage-2