OVERCLOCKING IN HOT REGIONS

navanit

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
Hello,
I m from INDIA
and the temperatures around BOMBAY http://img.tomshardware.com/forum/uk/icones/smilies/bounce.gif are really high its like 35degrees C all the time
I wanted to overclock my e7500
I ll buy a good heat sink but given this weather
I m not sure it'd work.

any suggestions or any one who does overclock in this hot part of the world plz reply
i dont have an a.c. at my place

my config
e7500 2.93
2gb ram (transcend) 800mhz
gigabyte G31-MS2L
for now a cheap 400rs(Approx $8) coolermaster heatsink i dont kno the model no. proper

it would be great if I could take it up to 3.2Ghz or may be 200Mhz more .

thanks.

Thadius856

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
You could start with a decent aftermarket cooler. Look around for some reviews and I'm sure you'll find something nice that's available at a reasonable rate in Bombay.

Realize that you won't be able to get the same overclock results that a person whose system runs in a cooler climate would with the same cooling.

If you wanted to be extreme, you could go with a liquid cooled setup that used dry ice, liquid nitrogen, or some other cooling material. But that's wellll beyond enthusiast building.

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
Its pretty hot here where I live during the summer as well(though I do have AC at home), and one thing that I've done is I have a winter OC, and a summer OC. During the winter when the ambient temps go down a bit I have a preset for a higher overclock, and when the Ambient temps go up during the summer, I switch to the preset with the lower overclock. You can definitely still OC your CPU, you'll just have to watch your temps pretty carefully. I would get a solid heatsink, and then I'd just keep a temperature monitoring software (like coretemp or realtemp) running all the time and make sure you're not getting too hot.

I don't know about the G31, but the G41 onward have a thermal alarm that you can set in the BIOS. Look in the section labeled PC Health. If you have it, set it at 70 C.

In regular operation, you will get BIOS-type beeps if the alarm goes off.

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
you can also generally set a shut-down temperature (say 70-80C or so) and your comp will automatically shut itself down if the CPU hits that temperature. You can also set alarms with things like Coretemp that will alert you if your CPU hits whatever temperature.