XFX 5850 XXX vs Black Edition

Tags:
  • Tuner Cards
  • Overclocking
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 29, 2010 4:42:56 AM

Could anyone help me out with the details on the differences between these two cards? Black is higher rated than XXX due to some DOAs from Newegg, and I see that the Black is slightly more expensive, but in the grand scheme of things, what exactly am I paying more for compared to the XXX's stock overclock?

More about : xfx 5850 xxx black edition

January 29, 2010 4:48:35 AM

The black to my understanding is just overclocked slightly more than the xxx version.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 29, 2010 6:50:31 AM

OneWing_z said:
Could anyone help me out with the details on the differences between these two cards? Black is higher rated than XXX due to some DOAs from Newegg, and I see that the Black is slightly more expensive, but in the grand scheme of things, what exactly am I paying more for compared to the XXX's stock overclock?

Don't mind those review's.. :lol:  .. lol it's no more than 2 users writing multiple reviews under other names or "N/A" ... when someone buys something from the Egg (DOA), they write multiple reviews just to get attention and "vent" .... Those XFX's are flawless, every now n then "YES" there will be a bad card, but 3 bad cards from the same batch is almost impossible ;) 

go ahead, don't hesitate ;)  , buy it, overclock it, have fun.....
m
l
Related resources
January 29, 2010 8:13:03 AM

All that your getting extra with the "black edition" is 10mhz increase on the core clock, which you could do in 10 seconds with the normal or xxx edition. I also believe that the xxx and black edition cards come with xfx's voltage tweaking tool, which can help with higher overclocks but probably isnt worth it in the long run.
m
l
January 29, 2010 9:44:36 AM

Don't pay to have someone else OC your video card. It's easy to do on your own and you will likely get better results. Price, warranty and cooler are what you should be concerning yourself with when choosing among different brands of the same card.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 29, 2010 10:00:06 AM

Yeah, a 40Mhz overclock is defiantly not worth $60.
Get the standard GPU and bump the clocks your self, it will take you about 10 seconds to do.
With such a small overclock, you are virtually guaranteed success.
m
l
January 29, 2010 12:43:26 PM

Price, Warranty and Cooler. . . well, I can find the XXX for $300, which is about as good as you can get the stock one right now. . . XFX has the best warranties around, and the coolers on there XXX and black are pretty damn nice. . .
m
l

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
January 29, 2010 12:56:07 PM

The coolers and warranties are exactly the same for all three versions of the cards.
The only differences between them is the price, a few Mhz and the stickers on the cooler (if you get the Black Edition) :/ 
If you can get the slightly overclocked card for the same price as the standard version though, might as well go for it...

Riddle me this.
Which of these cards is the XXX and which is the standard ;) 

a b K Overclocking
January 29, 2010 2:01:24 PM

yea the mem clock on the BE is 1125MHz (4.5Gbps) compared to 1000MHz (4Gbps) on the stock version, its up to you if you want to manually up the clocks and save your cash or just go all out and get the BE....
m
l
January 30, 2010 7:08:39 PM

Best answer selected by OneWing_z.
m
l
!