Did I damages my ram or the ram is defective?

brickkiller

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
My ram's max voltage according the manufacturer is 1.65 volts. I attempted to overclock and set it to 1.71 volts. Afterward i get thousand of errors on memtes86 which didn't happen before. The model is patriot PGV34G1333ELK.
Although i know that if the ram has too much volts on it; it will get damaged, but 1.71 volts is very low any ddr3 ram when there are people putting 1.9 on it.

tecmo34

Administrator
No you didn't damage it. You are getting all of the errors because your RAM overclock is unstable. I would recommend going back to default on the RAM (manf. specs) and retest with memtest. If you get no errors there, your are good to go

tecmo34

Administrator
1) What CPU & MOBO are you running? The Intel i3, i5, i7 CPU's don't like over 1.65Orin the RAM because of their on die memory controller limitations basically.

2) Did your RAM ever work without errors before the overclock attempt? Could be as simple as you received defective RAM from the start.

brickkiller

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
I have an athlon x4 630 overclocked to 3.66ghz with a bus speed of 262mhz. I use MSI 790gx-g65. The ram was working before the overclocked because i tested with memtest86 before i attempted to do anything with the ram. Although i only tested with one run about 35 minutes. After I changed the volts to 1.71; it caused a bsod when it booted into windows. When i test it again on memtest86 now, it gets errors like every partial second. It will end up with thousand of errors with first run. I tried it with stock settings and lower than stock settings.
It's very odd that 1.71V damage a ddr3 ram and consider the brand of patriot is pretty reliable too. It was working before since i tested with memtest86 and did not find any errors after it has been overclocked.

tecmo34

Administrator
It is very interesting that an increase like that would damage your RAM.

In my original post, I wasn't aware you had already tested at "stock" and was found acceptable. I thought it was your first attempt of memtest at the overclocked voltage.