Sign in with
Your question

ATI Radeon 5850, computer takes 1 minute to POST

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 29, 2010 6:15:08 AM

I have nForce 730i and it was working great with GTX 280.

After that I bought Radeon 5850 and the problems started

the computer runs great, but when I turn on my mobo, it takes around 60 seconds to POST.

Other than that, the computer runs great

I've already contacted eVGA, but those guys are idiots, they just told me "they have never used a Radeon 5850 with that motherboard"

30 days after I'm trying to get a response from eVGA, I guess I'll ask somewhere else

Is there anybody with nForce 730i and Radeon 5850?

I think this motherboard has a problem because it has integrated graphics, so the computer takes too long to decide if the video output should be done from the PCI Express or from the motherboard graphic card

Any solution?

I've installed Adobe Photoshop CS4, Diskeeper, PES 2010, over 30 games, drivers, Vmware Workstation.......

each video game, it takes around 10 minutes to install

I just think it's a lot of work to buy another motherboard and do the whole installation of ALL the programs again

So, I hope I buy a new motherboard next year, with USB 3.0, but until then, is there any hope for me?

I don't want to buy a Nvidia card because they are noisy, and produce A LOT OF heat

not to mention they already damaged my previous motherboard ASUS (I was using Intel Core i7)

the GTX 295 SLI also damaged my Soundblaster Soundcard

Thanks a lot, I appreciate responses
January 29, 2010 7:22:10 AM

rafarataneneces said:
I have nForce 730i and it was working great with GTX 280.

After that I bought Radeon 5850 and the problems started

the computer runs great, but when I turn on my mobo, it takes around 60 seconds to POST.

Other than that, the computer runs great

I've already contacted eVGA, but those guys are idiots, they just told me "they have never used a Radeon 5850 with that motherboard"

30 days after I'm trying to get a response from eVGA, I guess I'll ask somewhere else

Is there anybody with nForce 730i and Radeon 5850?

I think this motherboard has a problem because it has integrated graphics, so the computer takes too long to decide if the video output should be done from the PCI Express or from the motherboard graphic card

Any solution?

I've installed Adobe Photoshop CS4, Diskeeper, PES 2010, over 30 games, drivers, Vmware Workstation.......

each video game, it takes around 10 minutes to install

I just think it's a lot of work to buy another motherboard and do the whole installation of ALL the programs again

So, I hope I buy a new motherboard next year, with USB 3.0, but until then, is there any hope for me?

I don't want to buy a Nvidia card because they are noisy, and produce A LOT OF heat

not to mention they already damaged my previous motherboard ASUS (I was using Intel Core i7)

the GTX 295 SLI also damaged my Soundblaster Soundcard

Thanks a lot, I appreciate responses

The fact that it takes so much to post eliminates all problems related to drivers, or any software for that matter. First suggestion is to go in the BIOS and put everything on DEFAULT and see if that improves the post time.
m
l
January 29, 2010 9:05:53 AM

hallowed_dragon said:
The fact that it takes so much to post eliminates all problems related to drivers, or any software for that matter. First suggestion is to go in the BIOS and put everything on DEFAULT and see if that improves the post time.

I put everything on Optimized defaults

it takes 30 seconds to POST now, still lame

another problem is that I can't sleep, I can't hybrid sleep, and I can't hibernate

this eVGA guys are really doing no effort in helping me

I was thinking buying a USB 3.0 card, Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R

a company that is not married to ATI or Nvidia
m
l
Related resources
January 29, 2010 9:21:31 AM

rafarataneneces said:

another problem is that I can't sleep, I can't hybrid sleep, and I can't hibernate

Good choice. I heard that the X58 chips don't have any kind of problems related to POST times due to GPUs.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 29, 2010 9:23:41 AM

It definatly sounds like a BIOS issue to me.
If you have not already done so, update your BIOS to the latest avaliable.
You can locate the newest BIOS Here.
m
l
January 29, 2010 10:43:15 AM

Quote:
30 seconds doesn't sound unreasonable from a cold boot. If your so impatient that 30 seconds is too long for you to wait, then I would suggest putting the computer in sleep mode and then all you have to do is hit the enter button and your up and running in 2 seconds.

He said in another thread that sleep/hibernate have serious issues, so that is out of the question.
m
l
January 29, 2010 10:11:23 PM

outlw6669 said:
It definatly sounds like a BIOS issue to me.
If you have not already done so, update your BIOS to the latest avaliable.
You can locate the newest BIOS Here.

I've already updated the latest BIOS from eVGA

They told me they were going to check this error, since now this is on level 2 of their tech support

so I hope I have a new BIOS update next week
m
l
January 29, 2010 10:13:27 PM

Quote:
30 seconds doesn't sound unreasonable from a cold boot. If your so impatient that 30 seconds is too long for you to wait, then I would suggest putting the computer in sleep mode and then all you have to do is hit the enter button and your up and running in 2 seconds.

the problem is that it takes 30 seconds to POST
it can't sleep
it can't hibernate
it can't hybrid sleep

eVGA + ATI has been a disaster and I blame eVGA

eVGA motherboard was not able to use 8GB of RAM and PCI Express graphic card

I just don't believe why they sell motherboards with 'features' that are not even there, then you have to beg them to do their job
m
l
June 2, 2010 6:39:09 PM

Hello guys
I know this is an old post but finally I got rid of ATI Radeon 5850
I am now facing a new decision, ATI Radeon 5770 or GTX 260 Core 216?

my nForce 730i motherboard should work better with Nvidia, but now ATI allows me to have DX11 card for under $200, can't beat that.

I realized I don't need that much graphic power (I would rather have a better CPU).

Anyway, finally eVGA told me that I should flash my ATI Video Card and update the BIOS of the video card

How do I do that?

If I buy a Radeon 5770, 5850.. will I always have to flash the video cards, and will that allow me to boot fast?

This mother board has integrated GeForce 9300 and it works great, right now I don't have a dedicated graphic card.

I was also wondering what the heck happened to Hybrid SLI since it would be nice to use the extra power of the GeForce 9300

I heard Hybrid SLI was a project that from Nvidia that pretty much failed miserably

If anyone has Hybrid SLI in Windows 7 64-bit, let me know
m
l
June 2, 2010 7:17:19 PM

I have a sapphire 5850 using it with my P5K-E ASUS MoBo and Intel 2 core e8400 O/C'd to 3.6 ghz. I have not had any problems. I don't know why eVGA would tell you to update video card BIOS. (Other for O/Cing maybe)I would RTM that card. Not sure what you are running for a CPU. But a 5770 would be a good upgrade. And later on down the road you want to upgrade your rig or new PC. You could buy another 5770 and crossfire it. The performance w/ 2 x 5770 would almost equal what you would get from a 5870 and save money.

Now SLI Hybrid. I am not sure what you mean. But I think you mean taking a NVIDIA GPU and use it for a dedicated PhysX card and using an ATI card for your main GPU. This is not supported by NVIDIA. But there are hacked drivers that will make it happen. Just google it. I was going to do this with my 9800 GTX that I replaced with the 5850. But with a half dozen games (if that) that support PhysX. It wasn't worth it, besides maybe bumping my 3Dmark score way up. Which dosn't mean a thing really. There is no use for a dedicated PhysX card. Plus I think NVIDIA will drop support for PhysX anyways. Hoped that I helped ya abit. Good luck
m
l
June 3, 2010 12:08:24 AM

ern88 said:
I have a sapphire 5850 using it with my P5K-E ASUS MoBo and Intel 2 core e8400 O/C'd to 3.6 ghz.

Plus I think NVIDIA will drop support for PhysX anyways. Hoped that I helped ya abit.

Well first thing first, your motherboard is not eVGA and is not based on Nvidia, so you were wise, bad decision to pick Nvidia for my motherboard

But what's done is done, and the problem WAS not the Radeon 5850, it was my motherboard.

I Googled and found out that other people had the same problems, Asus released a BIOS update but eVGA just blamed the ATI Radeon video card, and recommended me to Flash the BIOS, and again, no idea how to do that.

Whaat I would like to do is use my included GeForce 9300 Onboard GPU most of the time, reboot, enable PCI Express, and use the video card only when I play video games.

It will save me from all the heat that the videocard generates all day long

Last but not least, where did you heard Nvidia will drop support for Physx?

I saw a Mafia video with Physx, looked pretty cool
m
l
a b V Motherboard
June 3, 2010 3:34:13 AM

rafarataneneces said:

For sleep/hibernate problems, please see: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/981112/

Hope the above helps.
m
l
June 3, 2010 3:40:07 AM

suat said:
For sleep/hibernate problems, please see: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/981112/

Hope the above helps.

Thanks

I want to know if it's safe to install a BIOS update from ASUS:
ASUS P5N7A-VM

They have a motherboard based on the nForce 730i

I know that sounds stupid but Asus has so many BIOS updates, eVGA has like 3

I am 100% disappointed with eVGA, all I want is to use ATI Radeon and POST in 3-5 seconds like 99% of users out there
m
l
a b V Motherboard
June 3, 2010 6:21:23 AM

I have updated the BIOS of my Asus P7P55D several times from within BIOS successfully with an USB stick. I think you can also do that without any problems. Please read the M/B manual carefully and try to learn how you can save the M/B in case there is a problem. My Asus board has CrashFree BIOS recovery utility. Yours may have it, too.

If you choose to update your BIOS (at your own risk), please use an UPS and choose a method of updating outside of Windows.

Hope the above helps.
m
l
!