Sign in with
Your question

Where to Start?

Last response: in Motherboards
September 10, 2010 4:58:12 AM

I am going to build my own computer. So the question is, where do I start?

It seems to make the most sense to start with the motherboard and go from there. My research tells me there is a ton of options on the market for just about everything. From the motherboard down to the case.

This is what I do know:
1. I would like to build a computer for GPU rendering; two video cards. One for display, then other for rendering.
2. Performance & speed is a must.
3. I would like to use an ATX Case.
4. Will have computer connected to one HD monitor.
5. Would like too use an Intel processor.
6. Would like to install programs to SSD.

Since everything connects to the motherboard, it seems to me this is a critical component. And that the performance of all the other hardware is contingent on the motherboard.

With that said, and given so many options on the market, how do I begin to determine what the best components are for my system? How do I know if a component(s) will work well with the motherboard, in terms of speed & performance, and each other?

Price at this time is not my concern. Determining what works with what is (how to match up components). Once I know how to do that, then I will select hardware based on what I can afford. Starting with the motherboard and going from there.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Sincerely,
Billy Raygun

More about : start

a c 717 V Motherboard
September 10, 2010 5:08:29 AM

Xeon/5520 or X58/1366 - before anything what's your total budget?

{Workstation} Budget - Xeon/5520 ~ $3,000 - $12,000+
{Gaming/General Use} Budget - X58/1366 ~ $2,000 - $7,000+

My current rigs - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/configuration.php?con...
Everyday: $1,800
(Current SR-2 Build): $12,000+
Gaming Rig: $6,500

Rendering a/k/a Pro GPUs are 2-6X the cost of a consumer GPU. What are you planning on doing or what is the purpose of your build?
m
l
a c 156 V Motherboard
September 10, 2010 7:07:13 AM

A better place for this topic is in the Systems forum. Tell us your budget and the main purpose of the computer, and we have people here (alas, I am not one of them) who are very good at system configuration.

And you can discuss why you want - or don't want - certain components.

You can also check out the "System Builder Marathon" articles on the home page. You will need to scroll down to the "Build It Yourself" section..
m
l
Related resources
September 10, 2010 3:59:44 PM

Thank you guys! I'll cut and paste my topic over to the Systems forum.

Cheers!
m
l
a c 717 V Motherboard
September 10, 2010 4:08:32 PM

^ fine with me to continue here. The System guys are good at spending money but their conflicting components from builds end up here...I'm not interested in the Spy badge.
m
l
!