Intel Pentium D 955sl94n 3.46ghz/4m/1066 BEST MOTHERBOARD with SLI

PC GeeK

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
What is the best motherboard I can get for this processor that has SLI? I want to be able to have 8 gigs of DDR3, sata 2, and a solid state drive. (need sata 2 for my 4 TB hard drives. any suggestions would be appreciated thanks.

I was thinking about a XFX nforce 790i ultra sli, but i don't know if this CPU will work in it.

My suggestion to you is to dump the Pentium D it will bottleneck the crap out of a good SLI setup and DDR3 would be a waste on that processor You would be much better going for a cheaper AMD system or an I3 system if you are looking to save money there really is no point of putting that good hardware with an old processor like that. Especially when a newer budget processor will trash that processor.

I wouldnt say trash it it still is a solid performing processor and still will run windows 7 nicely and game half decent its just if you are buying a new board and you want DDR3 and you are gonna SLI its not a good move putting all that great hardware on a 5 year old processor that will get outperformed by any processor on the market. He would be way better off getting an I3 or I5 or if the budget cant handle that then a Athlon or Phenom II can be done for around $200.

There is nothing wrong with the pentium D 955. But there is little point in building a SLI system around it. $50 cpu today will be much faster than the pentium.

If this cpu is currently in a working system, I would advise leaving it there.

It would would be helpful if we know more. For example, do you already have the memory and just need a board? Did an old board go bad? Do you already have the GPU? The more you can tell us about where you are and where you want to go, the better the advice you will get.