Sign in with
Your question

Computer turns off when playing games

Last response: in Systems
February 4, 2010 10:58:50 PM

Hello,I just built my own computer and it starts up but it randomly shuts down without me telling it to. I also noticed that one of the two fans in my psu doesn't spin. Is this causing the psu to overheat and shut down the computer?
February 5, 2010 2:22:53 AM

Please list your full system specifications. Yes, overheating could cause these symptoms. As could insufficient power, static issues, and a whole host of other problems. But we can't help without knowing some of the details.
m
l
February 5, 2010 2:27:49 AM

I am running:

intel Core 2 Quad Q9400
EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB PCIe
Kingwin Mach 1 600w ATX Modular Power Supply
Corsair Gaming Memory DDR2 4GB Kit (2x2GB) 800MHz
XFX nForce 780i SLI Socket 775 Motherboard
WD Caviar 250GB SATA HD 7200/8MB/SATA-3G
m
l
Related resources
February 5, 2010 2:33:08 AM

I had heard that a faulty stick of ram could cause this problem so I tried running it with both sticks by themselves and it shut down both times so I don't think it is the ram unless both sticks are bad, not to mention that the computer runs for awhile before it shuts down. And it usually shuts down when I try to play graphic intense games although it did it twice during the initial bios set up and I think once when I was just in windows.
I suspect that it is a problem with my psu because of the fan that doesn't work so I am considering exchanging it with tigerdirect.com, but should I get a more powerful psu for what I'm running? I thought maybe my GPU wasn't getting enough power?
m
l
February 5, 2010 2:44:08 AM

That sounds like a good idea, since it is defective, even if it is not causing this problem. If you do decide to upgrade, go with Corsair, Antec, Seasonic, etc. (very good brands), see the sticky at the top of this forum for more suggestions.

Other things to check: download and install HWMonitor ( http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php ) and keep an eye on temps and voltages while at idle and load.

Also, you could try uninstalling your video drivers and installing the newest (from NVidia).

Try Prime95 to stress the CPU and memtest86+ to test the ram.
m
l
February 5, 2010 3:10:47 AM

If its your PSU, you dont need a higher wattage one, just a quality brand, just get a corsair vx550w or similar and youll run your rig very smoothly
m
l
February 5, 2010 1:29:17 PM

O ok, I just picked the cheapest sli ready psu with enough wattage that I found on tigerdirect. Didn't realize it wouldn't be dependable. Also do you think there is a chance that there is a problem with my video card considering this happens most when running games?
also, how do I go about uninstalling my video drivers? sorry I'm a newbie
m
l
February 5, 2010 1:41:38 PM

Ok, I have said this before in other posts and I am going to say it again. The PSU should not be a budget component of your PC. It is the backbone of it, it is what gives power to everything.

When buying a PSU don't looking for the cheapest or the most expensive, look for one that is trusted, such as corsair, Antec Earth Watts, Seasonic, and so on. Look at the reviews too, if they don't look good don't get it because its cheap.

A power supply is an investment not a budget components, because I have seen it, people by cheap PSU something goes wrong and it ends up frying their whole system. You don't want that to happen so don't get fooled by SLI or any of those marketing terms get the good brands and a good quality model.
m
l
February 5, 2010 4:29:34 PM

I gotcha, that is a mistake I won't be making again. This was my first build so I'm just learning this stuff.
I am planning on using my motherboards sli capabilities though, so when looking at a psu should I worry about it being sli certified? or can I handle that witht he endless amount of extra wires and adapters that came with my stuff?
I'm leaning towards the Corsair TX650W 650-Watt Power Supply. what do you guys think?
m
l
February 5, 2010 6:32:24 PM

That should be a good PSU. The TX line is a good balance of performance and value.
m
l
February 5, 2010 6:40:02 PM

You shouldn't worry about SLI/Crossfire Certified. It's just a marketing tatic.
m
l
February 5, 2010 11:30:23 PM

Hey I'm having a similar problem with my new build. Whenever I try to play Call
m
l
February 5, 2010 11:35:08 PM

Hey I'm having a similar problem with my new build. Whenever I try to play Call of Duty: MW2 and at other random times, my monitor will shut off but the computer stays on. Everything is completely unresponsive and I have to restart it to get it working again. After exchanging the RAM and updating the BIOS, I'm starting to think it might be the power supply. Any ideas?

Gigabyte GA P55A UD3
Intel Core i5 750
Western Digital Caviar Black 750GB
Galaxy GeForce 9800 GT 512MB
G.Skill Ripjaws PC3 12800 4GB DDR3 RAM
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
OCZ Fatal1ty 550W ATX12V
m
l
February 5, 2010 11:51:17 PM

While that is a bit different than what is happening to my computer now, I used to have the same problem with my old laptop. I updated my drivers and it fixed the problem right away
m
l
February 6, 2010 12:17:37 AM

Yea, I already tried updating all the drivers and it didn't help.
m
l
February 6, 2010 12:57:24 AM

I had this issue with my HD 4850 but it was my own fault. I overclocked it too much and it would overheat, make sure your card isn't having any heat issues.

If your card overheats it will shut off leaving you computer screen blank, but your PC will still be on.
m
l
February 6, 2010 3:16:39 AM

PSU should be ok. I'd suggest starting a new thread, and also trying Prime95 and memtest86+ (CD/pen drive bootable).
m
l
February 12, 2010 11:38:37 PM

fixed it. turns out the heatsink wasn't all the way on. thank god my cpu didn't fry
m
l
!