HSF for AM3+/AM2+

darkreborn

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
Hi guys i was looking to upgrade my stock Heat sink fan on a phenom 965. The problem is that i have a micro asus motherboard, ASUS M4A785-M AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131595) and i wanted to know if all HSF will fit on to it because its micro. Can you guys also give me any suggestion for a good HSF that will let me overclock my build safely and install properly. Should i try Overclocking with heat sink fan? Any feedback would be appreciated thank you.

Thadius856

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
MicroATX, large aftermarket cooling, and overclocking are three things that have never once come into my mind as compatible.

Why not go the opposite route and try for a near-silent build?

darkreborn

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
Well i would go silent build but i want to overclock my build. its 3.4 stock but i wana try at least 3.8. There has to be a HSF that will do the job , mayb a certain size NM and doesn't cost too much.

randomkid

Distinguished
A Xigmatek Dark Knight will fit to your motherboard. It is decently price, and among the top performers in its class plus it is very easy to install for AMD motherboards.

Cooler Master Hyper 212 is better but may be a little more difficult to install.

The other critical question is what is your case? Because if it is not wide enough, it will not accomodate the Xigmatek Dark Knight as it will require a clearance of at least 160mm from the base to the side panel.

darkreborn

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
Thx for your replies guys!
I have a ATX Mid Tower Cooler master Case which is pretty nice. The ones you mentioned should fit on my microboardd randomkid? Will it take my ram slot away? i also have 4 80nm fans but i dont wana OC without a new HSF. So my case shouldnt be a problem but rather my Micro Atx Motherboard