Sign in with
Your question

Can you help me find a HDD to complement an SSD?

Last response: in Storage
February 7, 2012 5:08:11 AM

I want to do a LOT in the way of computer graphics, games and 3D modeling. I really want to learn my way into the movie business using computers... so I want to have a good background.

So I'm wondering if I should get a Western Digital Caviar Green hard drive or will it really slow down my computer because of the 5400RPM? or if maybe a Caviar blue or something else? Thanks!

current build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/4cYa
a c 265 G Storage
February 7, 2012 12:38:41 PM

The 5400rpm is fine as a storage drive for user files but would be slow compared to 7200rpm drive running applications. I personally would go with the 7200rpm BLUE.
m
l
February 7, 2012 2:15:08 PM

To add to this...is it necessary to have a 7200rpm drive when using a 64GB SSD for boot and Adobe Lightroom3 for example? Is it my understanding that slower rpm speed= less heat, more reliability, and less chance of early drive failure? I've read sooo many reviews on Newegg where people have a $150 HDD last all of 3 months with normal stationary use.
m
l
a c 265 G Storage
February 8, 2012 4:08:56 PM

Cla55clown said:
To add to this...is it necessary to have a 7200rpm drive when using a 64GB SSD for boot and Adobe Lightroom3 for example? Is it my understanding that slower rpm speed= less heat, more reliability, and less chance of early drive failure? I've read sooo many reviews on Newegg where people have a $150 HDD last all of 3 months with normal stationary use.

No it is not necessary, reliability between 5400rpm and 7200rpm is not an issue. HDD failures will happen to some of us and there is nothing changing that, therefore manufacturers offer warranty. I personally have only had one drive fail on me since I started using computers in the 80's and it failed within a month from purchase, I RMA'd to the manufacturer and the replacement is working fine. The key is to have backups of all your important data!
m
l
!