Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New Build, Shut down! no beeps!

Last response: in Systems
February 4, 2010 11:47:07 PM

Hey All, I have a new build that is having problems. When I start the system everything will boot up and the initial ASUS Bios Post screen (sorry for the wrong term here) will display. Then the system will shutdown. (total elapsed time 30 seconds or so)

I'm running just these components with the DVD drive disconnected.

MB ASUS M4A78T-E AM3 790GX/SB750 RT
PSU ANTEC|EA 650W
CPU AMD|PH II X4 955BE 3.2G AM3
MEM 2Gx2| CORS CMX4GX3M2A1600C7 R

I'm getting this error when running only 1 stick of 2gb ram (first tired with 2x2GB), i have tried moving it around and sometimes the system will shutdown immediatley. Is there a certain slot is should be in (A1/b1/a2/b2)?

I'm not hearing any beeping from the MOBO during startup. Do I need speakers installed? What could this indicate?

Please help!! I'm open to suggestions and will try anything. Thanks a bunch in advance.

Brendon

More about : build shut beeps

February 4, 2010 11:56:41 PM

Memory installation is important and sequential. First off, consult your motherboard manual for proper installation. Secondly, if your memory sticks are not designed for dual channel, don't install them into the motherboard in dual channel set up.
m
l
February 4, 2010 11:58:55 PM

The memory is Dual Channel. Says it is DD3 1600 O.C/1333. On a post screen I did read the memory as 1333 before shutdown.
m
l
Related resources
February 5, 2010 12:39:33 AM

bbfifas said:
Hey All, I have a new build that is having problems. When I start the system everything will boot up and the initial ASUS Bios Post screen (sorry for the wrong term here) will display. Then the system will shutdown. (total elapsed time 30 seconds or so)

I'm running just these components with the DVD drive disconnected.

MB ASUS M4A78T-E AM3 790GX/SB750 RT
PSU ANTEC|EA 650W
CPU AMD|PH II X4 955BE 3.2G AM3
MEM 2Gx2| CORS CMX4GX3M2A1600C7 R

I'm getting this error when running only 1 stick of 2gb ram (first tired with 2x2GB), i have tried moving it around and sometimes the system will shutdown immediatley. Is there a certain slot is should be in (A1/b1/a2/b2)?

I'm not hearing any beeping from the MOBO during startup. Do I need speakers installed? What could this indicate?

Please help!! I'm open to suggestions and will try anything. Thanks a bunch in advance.

Brendon

Okay, I looked over your Mobo User Manual just to make sure and if you are using only one DIMM then it shouldn't matter what RAM slot you put it in, so that shouldn't affect anything. If/when you do put two in, make sure they are side by side, unlike triple channel set ups where there are spaces between the DIMMS. Though the manual does mention the orange slots are better if you plan on overclocking... but certainly that's not happening atm.

These are the supported 1600 Cors RAM that ASUS shows, for what it is worth:
Quote:
CORSAIR TR3X3G1600C9(XMP)Ver1.1 DDR3 1600 3072MB(Kit of 3)
CORSAIR BoxP/N:TWIN3X4G1600C9DHXNV(CM3X2G1600C9DHXNV)Ver4.1 DDR3 1600 4096MB(Kit of 2)
CORSAIR BoxP/N:TWIN3X4096-1600C7DHXIN(CM3X2048-1600C7DHXIN)Ver3.1 DDR3 1600 4096MB(Kit of 2)
CORSAIR TR3X6G1600C8D(XMP)Ver2.1 DDR3 1600 6144MB(Kit of 3)
CORSAIR TR3X6G1600C9(XMP)Ver2.1 DDR3 1600 6144MB(Kit of 3)

Couple questions: Is your system shutting down or more like someone is pulling the plug--ie fans stop and all the lights go out? Also, does the system allow you to access the BIOS or do you still get booted? Are you booting from the HDD or DVD?

To hear system post beeps you will need an installed speaker, there should be a port for a system speaker on the mobo. Sadly a lot of mobo's don't come with one anymore. I"m not sure if your's does or not. An easy way to test is to take out all your RAM. With no RAM the system will emit a tone if it can and it won't attempt to boot.

Also make sure your CPU fan is plugged in and starting up, w/o your CPU can overheat very quickly. If none of that works, check your standoff for you mobo, you could have a short occuring that is causing the system to shut down. Sadly troubleshooting random shutdowns is tough.
m
l
February 5, 2010 12:46:04 AM

Thanks for the response MR.e, here is some more info that might be useful:

System will just shutdown like a power failure, all the fans will stop including the CPU fan. The power light on the MOBO will remain on.

Yes I have accessed the BIOS for maybe 10 seconds before shutdown. When this occurred I did not have the HDD or DVD plugged in.

I will hook up some speakers and try to start withouth RAM.

The CPU fan is working properly.

Not all the standoffs are screwed in, let me try that and report back? Thanks again.

m
l
February 5, 2010 1:37:39 AM

Another update (then going to bad, getting frustrated)

I'm missing 2 of the screws. I tired to get them in and cant reach because the aftermarket heat sink fan is too big...

So I plugged in some headphones, no beeps. System started up though with no CD or HDD drive. I entered the BIOS and CPU was bouncing between 30 and 31 C.

I have no idea why it started and stayed on. I then shutdown, plugged in the DVD drive and tried to install windows XP. I forgot the HDD drive so I shutdown and plugged in the HDD drive. Everything running smoothly and then SHUTDOWN about 20% through the setup/install of XP.....

Could it be these stupid screws causing a problem?? I have no idea why it ran fine this go around, the only change I made was plugging in the headphones.
m
l
February 5, 2010 9:55:53 AM

The screws could be the culprit, computers can be fickle creatures. Regarding the standoffs, they serve two purposes: 1) They prevent the back of the board from making contact with the case, which can result in a short. 2) The board is mounted vertically inside the case, add to that the weight of the CPU fan and a graphics card and you can get a big enough torque to cause a bend in the board. The some motherboard can be very sensitive to bending, so you want to minimize this possibility by installing all the standoffs.

Also, to install standoffs you must remove the motherboard. The standoff is a small brass color screw that has a hole for another screw to fit inside of it. The standoffs attach to the case. The board lays on top of the standoffs and there is a second screw inserted through the holes in the board. The boards is secured by sandwiching the two together.

I give the above explanation only because it sounded like you were trying to just put a screw through a hole in the board w/o having a standoff behind it (assuming you didn't install all the standoffs before the board was set in place.) If I misunderstood I'm sorry.

---

CPU tempertures look appear fine. So I don't think that heat is your problem. The next area I would check is the PSU, sadly the only way I know is to swap out the PSU for another one. If the system stabilizes then that was likely you problem. Swapping parts is never fun, especially if you ordered online and need to wait on an RMA.

The mobo/case speaker is different then the normal audio ports which require the correct drivers to operate. Here is an example of the speaker I'm talking about and the connector, you should have a 4-pin port on your mobo to install one.

The last possibility is you might have a faulty mother board. Again the only way to know would be to replace it, while the other components remaining the same.
m
l
February 5, 2010 12:21:58 PM

What bios do you need to run that chip ?
m
l
February 5, 2010 12:51:56 PM

@swifty,

According to Asus website, i need bios 1001 (CPU rev C2) or 2105 (CPU rev C3). Im not sure what version of the CPU I have or where to find that info.

m
l
February 5, 2010 1:01:01 PM

Another thought has occured to me. My friend may have put WAY too much thermal paste on. I remember him just globbing it on there and not really spreading it out. With the CPU/Heatsink installed there is a little past coming out the sides. Even though temps were 30-31C when I checked the BIOS, is it possible that the temp shoots up during the install? Could too much paste cause this?
m
l
February 5, 2010 1:39:37 PM

Hit the delete key when you start up. Once in the bios you will see standard cmos feature or something like that. hit enter to open it up. Down where is says system information.... should be something about bios.... I think you need to run the 1201 for this processor. You can go to the board manufacturers site to read up on it.

The excessive paste..... can cause you problems if you get it in the pin holes ( processor ) but don't worry too much about it. take a cotton swap or a flat wooden or plastic toothpick and clean up what you can. Only need about a pea sized glob which you can then smooth out with your finger tip.. spread evenly over the top of the processor. Just try and clean up the "mess" a little.
m
l
February 5, 2010 10:30:22 PM

UPDATE

I checked the CPU and it needs to run the 2105 BIOS which is installed. So this should be OK.

I put all the pin holes together and screws together

I took off the heatsink an removed the excess thermal paste and put together.

Computer started up, checked BIOS an the voltage from the PSU was within good specs. The CPU temp and MOBO temp were around 30C.

Computer now consistently crashed after a few minutes while in BIOS settings. Does this sound like a RAM problem? or something else? any suggestiosns THANKS
m
l

Best solution

February 8, 2010 12:47:09 AM

bbfifas said:
Computer now consistently crashed after a few minutes while in BIOS settings. Does this sound like a RAM problem? or something else? any suggestiosns THANKS

Could be the RAM, since you stated earlier you are only running one of the RAM DIMMs try swapping it out for the other DIMM. The probability of both DIMMS being faulty is slim.

But I'm still stuck on what you said earlier, that the system shuts off like someone pulled the plug. Since you ruled out the BIOS software and the fact you have seen postings on CPU temperatures, it just seems like power supply.

Btw, did you ever get a speaker to see if any system tones are being emitted?
February 8, 2010 11:20:18 AM

No speaker yet, hopefully can get one today or tomorrow. Will update once I get it. Thanks.
m
l
February 9, 2010 7:10:58 PM

RESOLVED

Thank you MrE. I'm not sure why we didn't think of this earlier, but we disassembled the old Dell computer this one is replacing and took out the 325W PSU. We plugged that in with no GPU and the system started up fine!!

Installed Windows XP and then switched to Windows 7 with no hang ups. Thanks for the help.
m
l
February 9, 2010 7:11:38 PM

Best answer selected by bbfifas.
m
l
!