Sign in with
Your question
Closed

BSOD when activating second GPU of 4870x2.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 29, 2010 11:32:38 AM

I am unable to activate the second GPU in the 4870x2.
When i activate it, Windows freezes up and a blue screen of death appears and then restarts. The BSOD quotes the driver file "atikmpag.sys". When it boots up, the computer gets stuck in the "Starting Windows" screen. After a while, it BSODs, quoting the same driver file.

I am able to boot into safe mode. If i go to device manager and disable the second GPU (running it on only one GPU), Windows boots up normally.

There are no Red LEDs on. There are three Green LEDs lit up, of which the middle one (labelled 'D3') keeps blinking. When Windows disables both the GPUs (running on the IGP), the first Green LED (from the fan), labelled 'D2', starts blinking. So i am guessing that the blinking LED means the corresponding GPU is not being used (just a wild guess).

I monitored temperatures using Catalyst Control Centre and GPU-Z. One GPU is at 60 Deg C. The other one reports 32767.5 Deg C. Infact all the readings are way off for the second GPU. And GPU-Z says crossfire is not enabled. Fan speed is at 40%.

Tried the drivers from xfxforce.com. No change. I installed the latest drivers v10.1 from AMD's site. No change. The problem occurs even with the default windows drivers.

I have tried re-installing Windows and then installing drivers, the ATI htofix, 'Verify Drivers' thing, set the AI to advanced, tried disabling it. The CCC does not even say that the second GPU is disabled.

Motherboard BIOS is the latest version and so are the device drivers. I dont know if there is any newer version of 4870x2's BIOS. I was not able to locate it anywhere. My card has the BIOS version 011.007.000.000.030318.

System Specification:
Proc: Intel Core2Quad Q6600.
Mobo: Intel DG33FB.
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 250GB.
Power: Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 650W.
Display: Samsung 19" Widescreen.

I have been trying to fix this for the last 2 days, but no avail. I'm at my wits' end. Please help.
January 30, 2010 2:48:48 PM

Update:
Played Crysis, Far Cry and Assassin's Creed. The card is stable with stable temperature. I was finally able to play games at 'High' settings in Crysis and it was like WOW! 'Very High' settings causes the FPS to drop to ~25. But it was too beautiful at that setting. Somehow i feel Crysis Warhead lacks the beauty that is in Crysis. Maybe if i enable the second card, Crysis will become playable at 'Very High' settings.

But still, if i enable the second card, windows crashes. Same error.
Score
February 1, 2010 6:13:47 AM

Helloooo... (Its echoing in here. I think i'm the only one on this forum with a 4870x2)
Score
Related resources
June 18, 2011 7:33:04 PM

Same problem over here. I think card is faulty. Can't complaint though I was given it for free together with mb and cpu.

Same readings from GPU-z too.
Score
June 18, 2011 9:06:30 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!