Sign in with
Your question

Which card(s) to buy?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
January 29, 2010 11:36:32 AM

I currently have the ASUS M4A785-M AMD motherboard with the integrated ATI HD 4200 chip that is supplying the video to my 32" HDTV via HDMI.

I plan on purchasing two monitors and connecting them with DVI, but would also like to keep my TV connected for movies, shows, things I need to show people, and just because it's awesome having a big-@$$ HD screen.

I figured that since the ATI Radeon 5000 series cards have the Eyefinity tech that they would support all three, but they say that you must have one hooked up through displayport, which neither the monitors (I'm looking at) nor the TV has.

Is there a card that will let me hook up 2 DVI and 1 HDMI or even 3 DVI (sound output is through itegrated sound chip), or must I buy two cards and link them via Crossfire?

I've been looking at the 4850, 5670, and 5750 on newegg ($125, $110, $140 respectively) becuase they have 2 DVI ports and I've heard they're good cards. Do I need to buy two of whichever I choose, or only one? And would it benefit/harm me to choose 2 from those 3 cards or will they not work in Crossfire though all three support it?

Also, my mobo has 1 PCIe 2.0 x16 port and 1 PCIe x1 port - what's the difference, and if that's an issue with the cards, how do I work around it?

Just FYI, I'm looking at buying 2 HP 2009m monitors. Walmart has them cheaper than I can find online and they're good from the reviews I've found.

Thanks in advance.

More about : card buy

a b U Graphics card
January 29, 2010 2:31:12 PM

You only need to buy one card to run multiple monitors
Place the card in PCIe x16 SLOT
m
l
!