• PCI Express
  • Computer
  • Motherboards
  • Nvidia
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 29, 2010 11:41:54 AM

Hi,

Been reading a bit about PCI Express 3.0. The thing is that i plan on buying a new computer soon but... new nVidia cards and PCI-E 3.0.

For the new nVidia serie, i could go with EVGA and use the step-up program, or re-sell the card and buy a new one when it comes out, nothing too bad about it.

PCI-E 3.0 means a whole new computer (at least, new board and probably new CPU along the way). I'm just wondering how long it will take until the motherboards and video cards are released with PCI-E 3.0 spec. I've read that 3.0 will come out Q2 2010, so you you think motherboards will start supporting right away or 6 months later ? What about video cards ? Will we have to wait until another generation of cards ?

Thanks !

More about : pci

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
January 29, 2010 11:49:34 AM

trep- said:
Hi,

Been reading a bit about PCI Express 3.0. The thing is that i plan on buying a new computer soon but... new nVidia cards and PCI-E 3.0.

For the new nVidia serie, i could go with EVGA and use the step-up program, or re-sell the card and buy a new one when it comes out, nothing too bad about it.

PCI-E 3.0 means a whole new computer (at least, new board and probably new CPU along the way). I'm just wondering how long it will take until the motherboards and video cards are released with PCI-E 3.0 spec. I've read that 3.0 will come out Q2 2010, so you you think motherboards will start supporting right away or 6 months later ? What about video cards ? Will we have to wait until another generation of cards ?

Thanks !

Even if cards will come and have a sticker on the box saying they support PCIex 3.0 that doesn't mean anything. 3.0 version is nothing revolutionary because now the bandwidth of the 2.0 PCIex is not fully occupied. Just buy what you can get within your budget and don't wait for something that will not bring anything incredible to the table.
January 29, 2010 12:39:55 PM

Thanks for the answer sir, very helpful !
Score
January 29, 2010 12:40:03 PM

Best answer selected by trep-.
Score
May 7, 2011 7:58:36 PM

trep- said:
Hi,

Thanks !

PCIe 2.0 delivers 5 GT/s, but employs an 8b/10b encoding scheme which results in a 20 percent ((10-8)/10) overhead on the raw bit rate. PCIe 3.0 removes the requirement for 8b/10b encoding and instead uses a technique called "scrambling" in which "a known binary polynomial is applied to a data stream in a feedback topology. Because the scrambling polynomial is known, the data can be recovered by running it through a feedback topology using the inverse polynomial and also uses a 128b/130b ((130-128)/130)encoding scheme, reducing the overhead to approximately 1.5%, as opposed to the 20% overhead of 8b/10b encoding used by PCIe 2.0. PCIe 3.0's 8 GT/s bit rate effectively delivers double PCIe 2.0 bandwidth
Score
May 7, 2011 11:06:34 PM

In respect to the info another dimwit stated, this may increase performance regardless of if the PCIe 2.0 was being fully saturated or not. Only example I can come up with is with SATA 3.0 Gb/s. A Western Digital Caviar Black using this interface would not fully saturate the bandwidth, however, their SATA 6.0Gb/s version of the identical hard drive provides slightly higher bandwidth due to the technology behind the 6.0Gb/s interface. If anyone strongly disagrees then I will take the time to dig up the research I had found a few months back.

So basically I am not saying that this will necessarily occur with PCIe 3.0, but I did not think it would occur with SATA 6.0 Gb/s using the logic that the bandwidth on the prior technology was not fully saturated and there would be no use for the new technology as far as increased bandwidth. But it does happen.
Score
May 8, 2011 1:39:57 AM

Test have shown even current high end cards run at 80% their speed on a 4x PCIe interface. Huge diminishing returns on additional bandwidth.

Going from 16x to 8x had something like a 5% difference. So going from PCIe2 to 3 should have under a 5% benefit... with current cards.

PCIe 3.0 may be useful in 2-3 years as GPUs have been beating Moore's law.
Score
May 8, 2011 1:45:55 AM

Kewlx25 said:
Test have shown even current high end cards run at 80% their speed on a 4x PCIe interface. Huge diminishing returns on additional bandwidth.

Going from 16x to 8x had something like a 5% difference. So going from PCIe2 to 3 should have under a 5% benefit... with current cards.

PCIe 3.0 may be useful in 2-3 years as GPUs have been beating Moore's law.

I agree for the most part. Would like to note that going from PCIe 2.0 16x to 8x has at most a 1fps on single GPU non-SLI cards, this has a larger impact on multi-GPU cards. And yes, the benefits of PCIe 3.0 32x will probably be about 1fps, but we will have to wait and see.
Score
May 8, 2011 1:54:26 PM

FPS is not a measuable standart, one game can require the vga card to process 10kb of data to create a FPS and 1 can require 100kb. its all about the speed, which is achieved with bandwidth. the reason why it hasn't hit the market is because intel hasn't pushed it new chipset x68 which will have the capacity to handle 2 cpu and 4 gpu at the same time, their current p67 can not handle 2 GPU's so its not important.
Score
May 8, 2011 10:06:42 PM

It's the x79 not x68. It will be out Q4 this year.
Score
!