Sign in with
Your question

Question about CPU Temps (AMD Phenom 9850)

Last response: in Overclocking
October 21, 2012 12:54:22 AM

I would like to start of by saying that I'm fairly new to overclocking, but I have a moderate knowledge of computers. That being said, I'm a little bit concerned about the temperatures that I've been seeing. When I first began exploring the idea of overclocking, I downloaded OCCT to give my CPU a stress test at its stock settings. It was reading about 66° C at full load and about 46° C at idle. My cooler is an Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro, certainly a step up from a stock cooler. I should also mention that I'm currently running the computer with the case open and a fan blowing into it. I will attach the screenshot from OCCT, but if any additional information is required, let me know.

Thank you.

a c 139 à CPUs
a c 242 K Overclocking
October 21, 2012 3:10:12 AM

AMD says is 61C cputemp for save .. i think you need bigger cooler :) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 21, 2012 3:03:16 PM

That is hot for stock settings although those old Phenoms are notorious for running hot in the first place. I had a AMD 9950 BE 140w with my previous system which is just a one tier above yours and I was able to get it up to 3.1ghz from the stock 2.6. I don't quiet remember what voltage I was running though but the temps were in the high 60c range under full load. I was using a Asus Lion Square cooler. When is the last time you cleaned out the CPU heat-sink ?
m
l
Related resources
October 21, 2012 4:33:39 PM

Orlean said:
That is hot for stock settings although those old Phenoms are notorious for running hot in the first place. I had a AMD 9950 BE 140w with my previous system which is just a one tier above yours and I was able to get it up to 3.1ghz from the stock 2.6. I don't quiet remember what voltage I was running though but the temps were in the high 60c range under full load. I was using a Asus Lion Square cooler. When is the last time you cleaned out the CPU heat-sink ?

I cleaned it Friday. I also reapplied thermal paste, but I've just been using some crappy Radioshack silicon paste. Would using better paste make much of a difference?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 21, 2012 7:01:09 PM

I can't speak for Radio shack paste I've never used it but when you say silicone I assume you mean its somewhat clear ? Hard to say since I'm sure Radioshack has several suppliers for there thermal paste so as far as how good it is I wouldn't know but I would assume you may see a 3-5 degree difference by using a known brand. I think Arctic Silver 5 is pretty much the standard, I personally use Arctic Silver Ceramique 2.
m
l
!