Hard Drive Data Transfer

Jimmy D Bishop

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Hello,
How do I transfer the data from the old hard drive to the new hard drive? I saw a kit to do this but can't find it again now that I want it. Help

Jimmy

You have a few options:

1. External (the easiest but usually most costly)
-Get an external enclosure for your hard drive and connect it to the new computer via USB, firewire or eSata
-transfer the data over. You'll probably get a sustained 15-25mb/s over USB 2.0

2. Ethernet (usually less costly because you probably have the equipment already)
-connect both computers to your home network and transfer data via the network. Max transfer rate assuming it's not gigabit: 10mb/s
-You could also just grab one ethernet cable and connect the computers to eachother via a peer-to-peer network.
-You'll need to share a folder on your new computer to put the files into and use your old computer to transfer the data to it in "my network places"

3. Internal:
-Install the hard drive into your new computer as a slave. Turn on your new computer. You now have full access to the drive and can transfer over all the data you want.
-Maximum transfer rate: only limited by the speed of the hard drives.

If you need more details or help, let me know.

Too add to what enzo said once you figure out you configuration there are a few programs that will make exact copies of the hard drive I suggest Acronis True Image its really easy to understand interface and will guide you thru the whole process.