Sign in with
Your question

File Server Build spec

Last response: in Systems
February 5, 2010 12:32:39 AM

Hello mates.....

I am building a file server for a proposed 10 office workstation . i need you to give me guidiance if i am in the right steps. below are my research so far.

CPU

Intel Xeon (E5410) Quad Core Processor - 2.33GHz 12288KB L2 Cache 1333MHz FSB

is there a resonably cheaper AMD processor of this quivalent? or a resonale cheaper intel which can power up 10 workstations swiftly?

MotherBoard
Supermicro X7DVL-E i5000V

RAM
I am ontemplating 8GB EEC ram type( is it too small or too big for a 10 worksation file server sharing?)

Casing with PSU and Fan
i am thinking of a casing with PSU of 600WT or 450WT(too small or too big since i wont need monitor, keepboard and mouse... here i think i need ur opinions on which one to go for... i have not made concrete search yet here

Heat Sink
i know this is a required componet which can i go for to work perfectly for the above intel xeon i have chooson

HDD
i am thinking of using SATA 2.5/3gbs of 250GB size x 3 cos of raid 5 array
any better suggestion is welcomed

SATA controller card
do i need this? i really do not know much about this one as i began learningdetailed componets newly or is it already in my choosen motherboard? am not clear that why i ask.

CD/DVD drives

power cables, hdd conectors

these are my components so far, please review and make suggestion as to the items and where i can get resonable prizes for these products in £ pounds as i am using that as ext currency.

I have a budget of 1,300 to spend on this file server .... also i believe i have missed some componets to build a server but i am not sure, if i have i humbly accept ur additions ..

thanxs

More about : file server build spec

February 5, 2010 2:58:55 AM

What server OS will you use? If it will only be a file server and nothing else, then 2GB or 4GB of RAM is fine. A P4 3.2GHz with fast hard disks can support a lot more than 10 users, therefore your CPU selection exceeds the requirements of a file server by a wide margin. You definitely should consider faster hard disks like the WD6401AALS. They are larger and usually faster than 250GB drives. How will you backup the server? A RAID can fail, the server can be stolen or destroyed, etc.
February 5, 2010 8:44:49 AM

@GhislainG, it is just a file server nothing more. and probably will be print server too... thats as far as it goes. I am planning on using opensource OS , i have Opensuse, OpenSolarix and Red Hat Linus in mind.... i might settle for opensolarix or just solarix 1o because of the ZFS file structure.... so i bet the recommendation on hardware changes u suggested will be more than enough to support a thorough 10 workstation.

I am considering using a western digital 500GB x4 in a raid to achieve dublicate(mirroring) of files using RAID connection... raid 5 or raid 6..... which of the RAID array connection is better?

i was also thinking of SCSI Disk as they have better suited to withstand continous streams of data... any other opnion on ur side?

I will be doing an full weekly backup followed by a daily incremental backup and harddisks wil be stored of site.
a RAID can fail true so which is the best economic method that is also considerable fast... or do u suggest i use autochangers??? or tape backup.. i know tape backup can be quite slow.

also have i missed any items in the components i listed in the process of a fileserver??????
February 5, 2010 12:20:15 PM

If you want to do RAID-5, get a dedicated controller card, and possibly a spare.
February 5, 2010 12:21:24 PM

Stick with an Intel CPU and Intel chipset based motherboard for what your doing - better stability and compatibility with some RAID cards if your going to use them, and id go as far as sticking with an Intel BRANDED motherboard,

You could even get away with an old Core2 based rig with a board supporting RAID10 (Intel Matrix Array etc) - plenty for a file server, and try to get an Intel ethernet controller (onboard or card etc) - less overhead, rock solid.

Check out SAS perhaps - SCSI is dead.
February 5, 2010 1:23:48 PM

You cannot build a high-availability file server for the budget you were given. The following is about the best you're going to be able to do given a limited budget. It is more a workstation than a true server. A UPS is recommended. This system was designed to be set up in RAID 1 (mirroring). Each person in the work-group would have about 125 GB storage space. The OS should be installed in a separate partition on the RAID. You will probably want a spare HDD on hand.

$200 egg Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor - Retail

$150 egg ASUS P7P55D LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

$85 egg Antec Mini P180 White Steel MicroATX Mini Tower Computer Case - Retail

$100 egg CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX4GX3M2A1600C8 - Retail

$330 egg 3ware 9650SE-4LPML PCI Express Lanes: 4 SATA II Controller Card RAID Levels 0, 1, 5, 10, Single Disk, JBOD, KIT - Retail

$240 zipzoomfly 2 X SEAGATE Barracuda 7200.11 ST31500341AS 1.5 TB SATA II 7200 RPM 32MB Buffer Hard Drive Bulk

$26 egg LITE-ON Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW SATA CD/DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM

$91 egg SILVERSTONE OP650 650W ATX 12V 2.2 & EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply - Retail

$37 egg EVGA 256-P2-N429-LR GeForce 7200GS 256MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

$3 satacables.com 30SS584YL - 1 X 24-inch SATA II cable

$12 satacables.com 30SS330YL - 2 X 13-inch SATA II cable (includes shipping)

$1274 TOTAL

Sorry, all prices are in dollars (not pounds).

Spend the remaining budget on a UPS, backup system, and spare HDD.

Here are a few backup solutions you might consider.

Acer Aspire Easystore H340 Intel Atom 1.6Ghz 2GB 1TB GBLAN 4 Bay Hotswap Windows Home Server - Retail
egg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Intel Entry Storage System SS4200-E - NAS - Serial ATA-300 - RAID 0, 1, 5, 10 - Gigabit Ethernet
amazon http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Entry-Storage-System-SS4200...

HP MediaSmart Server LX195
buy.com http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=210980894&lis...

SAMSUNG STORY Station 1TB USB 2.0 External Hard Drive HX-DU010EB - Retail
egg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Instead of HDD, buy a tape backup if you plan on mailing your backups or you need to put your backups in a fire-proof safe and have limited room.

If you are interested in looking at what a high-availability business file server looks like, go to hp.com and look at their rack servers. Dell also has decent rack servers. They may be over your budget, though.
February 5, 2010 1:40:01 PM

Sorry, the case is a little too small. Need an atx case.
February 5, 2010 2:09:33 PM

Quote:
I am considering using a western digital 500GB x4 in a raid to achieve dublicate(mirroring) of files using RAID connection... raid 5 or raid 6..... which of the RAID array connection is better?
With 4 drives, RAID 1+0 (RAID 10) is best. Make sure that you buy enterprise class hard drives, not the desktop version.

Quote:
I will be doing an full weekly backup followed by a daily incremental backup and harddisks wil be stored of site.
a RAID can fail true so which is the best economic method that is also considerable fast... or do u suggest i use autochangers??? or tape backup.. i know tape backup can be quite slow.
I prefer tape backup as it's easy to store cartridges off-site. You don't need an autoloader for such a small system. The speed isn't an issue because as long as the backup completes within an acceptable time frame. Using external hard disks also works well and is an inexpensive solution.

Your configuration is quite good. I would not recommend a desktop motherboard that doesn't support ECC memory. If you do, then buy memory that will be stable and stick to DDR3-1333 memory that's certified to work with the motherboard. If you go with an ASUS P7P55D, use the P7P55D Deluxe because you can team the Ethernet controllers (which you probably want to do to improve performance).
February 7, 2010 7:33:05 AM

@vanekl, GhislainG thank u all.. u have both given me invaluable contribution and i appreciate that.... I was considering using red hat linus or opensolaris/solarix and or opensuse before but i came across freeNAS which has all the zfs, resync and u know ..., anyone one used it??? can it be a better option for a fileserver netork OS ? or the once i have listed are better option... ? if you would go for any please give reason as to why u choose any over the rest i listed above.

And after reading so much again on RAID i am turning back to Tape drive as backup as surposed to my earlier chosen raid 5 option as RAIDS in itself can not be fully classified as backup approach since the drives used are still onsite and in the case of a catastrophe it can be stolen, damage , burntor lost and was wondering which are the best . i read a jpurnal on tripple raid parity and that just killed up my option of them cos these raid inconsistent array alogrithm still go bad after a peropd of 10-15yrs

whats the best cost effective tape drive to go for still under my budget of 1,500?
February 7, 2010 7:46:15 AM

whats is the best approach to antivirus and firewalling product as i only know Windowa approach for them... have no idea on opensource and linus/unix line of Os

Thanks
February 7, 2010 8:09:34 AM

redemptionlight said:
whats is the best approach to antivirus and firewalling product as i only know Windowa approach for them... have no idea on opensource and linus/unix line of Os

Thanks

linux doesn't need av, as for firewall, there is a iptables but with every mainstream distro, it comes configured, you've just need to install it via the package manager.
February 7, 2010 10:16:21 AM

NAS

Go with either freeNAS or Openfiler. If you have problems setting up either of those, go with Amahi.
http://freenas.org/freenas
http://www.openfiler.com

Amahi requires Fedora 10.
http://www.amahi.org/

Please see websites for features.

NAS overview:
http://dev.emcelettronica.com/hacking-network-attached-...

SECURITY

Keep in mind that the default configuration of Linux distros is secure, and you are probably setting this box up within your corporate firewall so exposure to nefarious influences is minimal. If you want to have the greatest security impact, choose passwords that are not in a dictionary, are alphanumeric, and are at least 8 letters long. You would be surprised how many people aren't able to meet this minimum criteria and can be hacked in minutes no matter what their firewall settings are set to.

BACKUP

There is zero striping with single-HDD backups, nor is there any striping with RAID 1 (Mirroring) backups. In other words, if you need to restore data from these HDDs you do not need any RAID technology at all -- they can be accessed as just plain HDDs.

You should be comparing tape with HDDs when comparing backup durability and effectiveness. Of course tape is more durable than HDDs, but as long as you have redundant backups it really doesn't matter. You also have to take convenience into account. Tape takes longer, so that means it takes a little more effort. The more effort that is required, the more tempting it is to skip backups. You want your backups to be as simple and fast as possible to encourage backups. You have to consider the human factors, too, is what I am saying, not just the technical. A perfect tape system is of no use if nobody wants to use it, or doesn't use it regularly.

Sorry, no tape suggestions. They are usually very expensive for a fast system that includes good backup and restore software, and most likely out of your budget.
February 7, 2010 11:57:33 AM

A tape backup solution is too expensive for your budget. All that you can afford is 2 inexpensive external hard disks and free backup software. You want 2 units so that you'll always have at least one unit off-site or in a safe.
!