Is it my overclock, or my game?

Hey there Tom's!

I recently built myself a new rig, and considered myself extremely lucky - my 3570k hit 4.4GHz @1.18v stable.

This overclock was stable through Prime 95 and all games... but one.

When I try to play Dungeons and Dragons Online, the computer will freeze - bad enough to require a hard reboot.

It doesn't repeat a sound loop, just freezes, and only in that game. The amount of time between a freeze is random - I've played fine for hours, and I've had it lock up within three seconds.

So here's my question. This is the only MMO I've played, and I heard some of them don't like overclocks because they try to draw a little extra power anyways.

So is my overclock not stable, and only shows up when the game tries to push a couple extra MHz out of my processor? Could it be from the small amount of dust buildup in there?

All my drivers are up-to-date, and the game was installed no less than a month ago - the freezing is fairly recent, no more than a few weeks old.

Here's my rig:

i5-3570k, 4.4GHz @ 1.18v, on a Hyper 212+
Gigybyte Z77-UD3H
EVGA 670 FTW edition
HyperX DDR3 RAM, stock at 1600MHz and Cas 7
OCZ Agility 4 128GB with more than half storage space empty, paired with a 1TB WD black.
NXZT case with 6 extra fans, so no lack of cooling.

robustus64

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
Well id say maybe the latest driver video update have you updated vid drivers recently?
And also some games are just like that not all run 100% stable on every comp configuration.You have a good build there should be fine..

Reference clocks for a 670, or for what EVGA ships it with?
I haven't touched my video card or my ram - just did an overclock of my CPU.

That's a good idea of playing with default video settings; I'll try later today when I get a chance and report back.

TRENDING THREADS