Sign in with
Your question

Patriot Pyro 240GB worth the money?

Last response: in Storage
February 7, 2012 12:42:34 PM

I can get a Patriot Pyro 240GB (PP240GS255SSDR) for $280 after rebate at a local brick and mortar. I was unable to find reviews based on the product number I listed. Is it worth spending more to get the Pyro versus Corsair Force GT 180GB for $220 after rebate? Thanks.
a c 265 G Storage
February 7, 2012 12:55:15 PM

It is based on how much you value the storage space. I personally would get the Pyro just based on the recommendation get the biggest drive you can afford and usually the bigger drives are faster than the smaller ones. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-review-benchmar...
m
l
February 7, 2012 1:14:52 PM

Okay thanks for that. Also wanted to make sure there are not any outrageous BSOD issues with the Pyro drive.
m
l
Related resources
February 7, 2012 2:59:41 PM

As far as you should be concerned, if you're running @ SATA3 (6 gbps) - You WILL NOT visibly see a difference between these two drives, so like rolli said, if you want more storage go with the pyro, otherwise they are both very functional drives.

Good luck!
m
l
February 7, 2012 5:21:11 PM

bloodymaze said:
As far as you should be concerned, if you're running @ SATA3 (6 gbps) - You WILL NOT visibly see a difference between these two drives, so like rolli said, if you want more storage go with the pyro, otherwise they are both very functional drives.

Good luck!

I do have SATAIII so that info helps. I am a bit hesitant of SandForce SSDs though, may be worth spending the extra money for a better drive. If so M4 256GB is $340 and 830 256GB is $360. But getting close to $400 for SSD is starting to get excessive in my eyes. I have about 20 games so may have to go all out and get 256GB.
m
l
a c 301 G Storage
February 7, 2012 10:23:56 PM

Here is my standard recommendation:

If reliability and stability is a major concern, then I recommend Samsung. Samsung was awarded contracts to supply Dell, Sony, Lenovo, Apple and other off the shelf brands with OEM versions of their 470 Series SATA 2 3Gb/s ssd's. Eventually the 470's were released for retail sale to consumers. There have been no major issues reported. The 470 has an absolutely stellar record.

Then Samsung released their 830 Series SATA 3 6Gb/s ssd's as successors to the 470. The first ones were OEM versions for Dell and the other off the shelf brands followed by release of retail versions for consumers. The ssd's are Samsung's own design with their own components and firmware. It looks like Samsung got it right again.

m
l
!