Is my new custom computer junk????

josh123

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009
Hi, I don't know if this question is in the right category, but hopefully it is. Ok, so I have a:

MOBO: MSI K9N6PGM2-V2

GRAPHICS: Integrated 256MB nVIDIA 6150 V2 ( I think)

PSU: 300W basic PSU that came with my Foxconn case

CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 240 2.8ghz ( I don't over clock because I have just the stock cooler)

RAM: DDR2 667mhz 2GB Centron memory

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 250GB SATA and a Maxtor 200GB IDE HDD for Hackintosh, but I cant get it to work (let me know if Hackintosh will work with my system)

DVD/CD Drive: ASUS Super Multi Drive (Burns every CD and DVD format available, except Blu ray) and a Pioneer DVD-ROM IDE ($2.00 at a thrift store)

NETWORKING: A D-Link b/g PCI card

MONITORS: A 19" DELL monitor ($30 on Craigslist) and a SAMSUNG 15" monitor ( I got it free last week, but I cant use it because I have only one video output)

KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Both Logitech basic wired keyboard and basic wireless mouse

Also, I am only 14 years old and built and planned this system by myself. (My dad helped me out on some of the wiring and stuff) I only spent $150 on my entire system not including the keyboard and mouse (They were Christmas presents). Please let me know what you think of my system and what I should upgrade on. Thank you, Josh

steadfast1984

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
dude for a 150 bucks you did really well. Im not gonna lie to you, its not a 6000 dollar rig, but it should do you well for the time being until you outgrow it. congrats on your first build. Im not sure about the "hackintosh" Save up for a graphics card for a future upgrade. stand alone cards are always a little bit nicer to have especially for gaming

josh123

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009
Mainly, I want to improve gaming, Video and power hog apps. I know I need to upgrade my RAM to 4GB, and get at least a 512MB dedicated GPU, but I really want 1GB. What would you recommend?

chocoboat

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2007
That's an amazing setup for only $150 and I'm impressed you got all that and put it together, not bad for a 14 year old.

Another 2GB of RAM would be helpful but not absolutely necessary, 2GB is enough to get by with.

For gaming you're kinda limited by that 300W power supply, it can't handle most modern video cards. But since it appears you're building on a budget anyway, it might not be a problem if you go for an inexpensive video card since it won't need a lot of power.

If you just want the ability to run games, Newegg has the MSI Radeon 4350 for $20 after rebate. It's weak, but you'll be able to run the games as long as you turn down the graphics settings and the resolution.

Some other options... the MSI 1GB 4550 is $30 after rebate, MSI GT 220 is $44 AR, and the Galaxy GT 240 is $69 AR.

MagicPants

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006
Do you need to the d-link card? Looks like it has onboard lan which might draw less power.

The PSU scares me a bit you don't need to mess with it now (I realize you're 14 and thus on a tight budget) but those cheap ones tend to blow after a year or two so just keep the idea of upgrading that in the back of your mind.

The label on the PSU got a manufacturer and/or part number?

I tend to think the ati 4650 and 4670 are the best gfx for the money, but that's a matter of opinion.

Good job on the build Josh!

Good job, that is a great accomplishment for the money you have spent!

If you want to game, you need to look at a couple of things, video card and PSU.
So....what kind of budget do you have? I know at 14 money can be hard to come up with.
And second, what kind of gaming do you want to do?

rockyjohn

Distinguished
The best single thing you can do to improve game performance is purchase this card if it fits in your budget:

ASUS ENGT240/DI/1GD3/A GeForce GT 240 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card - Retail - $78 after rebate with free shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121353&cm_re=gt_240-_-14-121-353-_-Product

Of particular note, the GT 240 has a minimum power requirement of 300w - so it should work fine in your system. ASUS is a good brand and the price is discounted.

Here is a review on the card that also shows its performance. I don't think you will find any faster card with a 300w or less minimum power requirement. The 4650 and 4670 both carry a 400w minumum power requirement. Its important to note that as PSUs approach capacity, heat increases, noise level increases, and efficiency decreases.

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=423&Itemid=72

josh123

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009
Thank you all for your answers. I will be upgrading to a 400W or 450W PSU within 6 months or sooner. Also, I think I might go with a nVIDIA Geforce 210. At my local FRYs electronics store they are $30 out the door and $10 MIR. Granted it's only a 512MB card, it will work with my PSU. Who knows I might even find a good deal on a new PSU. Thank you again, Josh

rockyjohn

Distinguished
I am a Fry's shopper too and know about the bargain you listed - and on top of the great price it is a BFG card - the best manufacturer - with a lifetime warranty.
It is a decent stopgap option while you wait to upgrade the PC.

But you should be aware that this card is not fast enought for much gaming - it is primarly for 2D - TV video and related activities rather than gaming.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tomshardwareus.inc&cat=31&post=279965&page=1&p=1&sondage=0&owntopic=1&trash=0&trash_post=0&print=0&numreponse=0&quote_only=0&new=0&nojs=0

If you later get a mobo with 2 PCIe x16 slots you can turn it into a Phsyx card.

Fry's regularly has sales on Antec PSUs like the Earthwatts 500w which is generally good for one large video card. I purchased mine there for $50. They also regularly have sales on BFG video cards. It was only several months ago that they had the BFG GTS 250 - about twice as fast as the GT 240 - for only $69.