imatharu29

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
So I have someone that will not move to Windows 7. My only option is to
keep them on XP. I have scoured the internet for answers.. no one really has
a definitive answer.
I have a Samsung 830 series SSD.

I Know that xp does not have trim. How heavily does this effect the life and performance of an ssd.

I was able to find a bunch of tweaks on OCZ.
Any help would greatly be appreciated.

im aware that the v+100 has the garbage collection feature but
I dont think I will be able to purchase another SSD. So im stuck with the samsung 830.

The drive has its own background feature that WILL help restore performance over time, but it can take some idle time for it to do its thing.

If you are stuck under XP, while taking longer, the drive should clean it self over time. It is only with lots of use that drive degrades.

The reason you will see many users recommending the v+ 100 is because it is very aggressive at background garbage collection. It does not offer the same level of performance of your 830, but should restore it's performance faster.

I would just give the 830 a go and see how it reacts. It is best to use the AHCI drivers(may need a floppy or usb drive with floppy emulation. Some user slipstream the driver as well) and bios setting if you can as well.

I would welcome others users opinions as well.....

Dogsnake

Distinguished
If they will not move to Win7 with it's SSD optimizations, why not just use a good quality HDD? What is your user using the PC for? I assume you are putting XP on The SSD and still will need a HDD in the system.

imatharu29

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
just basic programs..nothing fancy.
only need ssd... its going in a laptop.
Since this is a company laptop..user does not store data besides documents.
So only uses 50gb. We moving him to an SSD cuz hes the big man on campus