Sign in with
Your question

GA-X58A-UD3R Issues in Windows after new install

Last response: in Motherboards
September 11, 2010 2:05:46 AM

I just replaced my mobo, ram and cpu all at once. I have a GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R, I7 930 and 8gb ram. The PC correctly recognizes all of these things, and I have the same graphics card, an 8800 GTS 512mb.

I did not do a format nor did I do any preparations for installing new hardware, and now I think I have a lot of conflicting driver issues. I get into windows fine, but I am unable to boot any .exe file at all, the process just comes to a complete standstill. The network driver for the mobo doesnt work obviously so I cant use the internet on the machine. For some reason the graphics card driver doesnt work so I am stuck at 600x800, and I cant load the driver disc or any driver files I downloaded and put on a usb drive.

I dont want to have to format but it seems I may have no option. If so, will that even help? It doesnt make sense to me that windows is freezing like it is. I am able to open programs already installed but any installation file just freezes upon opening.
a b U Graphics card
a c 715 V Motherboard
September 11, 2010 2:31:39 AM

Replace the GA-X58A-UD3R/RAM/CPU from what? {seems from ALL different components}

You have way too many issues not to justify reformat and start from scratch, I can walk you through the process of repairing but even I don't know the outcome. I am concerned 1-2 weeks/months down the road; seems like a time bomb looming.

If you can get into the Device Manager then you'll need to go through 1-by-1 and right-click update each driver and have you installation DVD (assuming WIN 7) or CD (assuming XP).

Worst "unable to boot any .exe" is typically caused by a virus overwriting the {.exe} entries.
September 11, 2010 2:43:43 AM

I am almost certain I did not pick up a virus in the process of installing new hardware, and I know I didnt have one prior to installation. I am the only user of my computer and am very careful. I do not have much of a problem formatting and starting from scratch I just didnt really want to if I didnt have to. I did do a backup of important files beforehand. I am waiting for a new graphics card to come in and I was going to do the full format after I had it installed.

now whats the concern a week or two down the road??

My old computer hardware:
* Intel Core 2 Duo E7200, 1600 MHz
*Abit IX38 QuadGT
*2x OCZ Reaper HPC OCZ2RPR8002G 2 GB DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM

new hardware:

*G.SKILL Ripjaws Series (2x) 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
*GA-X58A-UD3R
*Intel Core i7-930
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a c 715 V Motherboard
September 11, 2010 3:13:37 AM

Clearly, your registry is corrupted from "something" unknown; replacing H/W won't throw-off your {.exe}. If you cannot run apps then try to run Windows Repair via a DVD/CD boot.

Q - How many HDD/SSD do you have? Also, what ports are they connected to (e.g. SATA2_0)
Q - What OS and version is running?

In short as an attempted fix {link is for rev 2.0}:
1. Go to {UD3R rev 2) http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3... and D/L all of the drivers listed and copy to a CD. Exceptions are Realtek Ethernet Diagnostic Utility & Marvell RAID Utility.
2. Install ALL drivers.
3. Reboot
4. Open Device Manager and right-click update driver on all affected components.

Post back - Good Luck!

BTW - while I don't generally recommend using a registry repair program D/L and install CCleaner goto Developer's site http://www.piriform.com/
September 11, 2010 3:27:12 AM

It seems I was a bit hasty in saying that no executable files work. I had already downloaded all those drivers on my laptop and moved them to my desktop with a usb key. I was just unable to manually install any of them by opening the exe for some reason. However by updating the drivers through device manager as you said it worked. Then with the internet working I downloaded the driver for my 8800 GTS graphics card and restarted. After that everything is working flawlessly as before with no discernible issues. I dont know why things were freezing up before I updated the graphics card but fixing that fixed everything.
a b U Graphics card
a c 715 V Motherboard
September 11, 2010 3:31:48 AM

What you initially described was Armageddon. Time for a BEER! :bounce: 

Good Luck!
!