Sign in with
Your question

Does everything look okay on my new build?

Last response: in Systems
February 5, 2010 6:37:36 AM

I just finished building my new core i5 system, and would like you to take a look at these screenshots to make sure everything looks as it should:

The GPU doesn't look right to me. The clock speeds should be a lot higher than that. What would cause this, and how do I fix it?

Here are my specs:

Asus P7P55D-E mobo
Intel Core i5-750 CPU
OCZ ModXstream 600w PSU
HIS Radeon HD 5870 GPU
Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz CL7
Thermaltake Armor+ MX Case
Stock HSF
Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB HDD
Creative X-fi Xtremegamer Sound Card

Thanks,

Tony

More about : build

February 5, 2010 7:54:33 AM

Newer GPUs underclock themselves and take other steps to save on power usage when they're just displaying the desktop. Load up a game and they'll jump right back up to full speed.
m
l
February 5, 2010 2:05:49 PM

the GPU like chocoboat said, will down clock like your CPU would at idol. once you start pushing your card, she should respond to the demands and clock up as needed.
m
l
Related resources
February 5, 2010 2:53:24 PM

Alright thanks. How does the rest look? I noticed the mobo overclocked itself to 3.71ghz. Are those temps at a safe range?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 5, 2010 3:12:53 PM

Those temps are starting to get on the high end for basically an ideal load. I would recommend running Prime95 Blend test for 2 hours and monitor your temps. I think you'll start to get into unsafe levels. I would recommend an aftermarket HSF like the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plust to help with those temps.

I'm not sure why your MOBO overclocked itself, but I would check your BIOS and it probably has a "auto overclock" function that is enable, so you can disable it and it should run at normal speeds. Those speeds are safe but not on a stock HSF.
m
l
February 5, 2010 4:33:49 PM

I set the overclocking to "Better Performance" in the BIOS, then I ran Prime95 for just a few seconds and the temps were already over 70 degrees C. Looks like I need that cooler?
m
l
!