Stupid question -- air coolers vs closed loop

Deakon

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012
Hello everyone!

I'm stuck in a weird spot. I'm building a badass system, and for the whole duration of researching, picking, and finalizing the build I was planning on using custom water cooling. However, once I figured out all the parts for the loop and added up the cost.... Well. I could have another computer for that cost, which I can't afford right now.

So I've decided to go with a high end cooler for now. My problem is that I don't know what to go with.. I've done a bit of research but all that's told me is that the Hyper Evo 212 isn't good. lol

Everything I read seems to say that high-end air coolers outperform most, if not all, of the closed-loop water coolers. The only issue they report is sound, and since I'll almost always have sound in my ears (music, Skype, game, video) I don't really care if the cooler is loud.

Is that correct? Or, will something like the Thermaltake Water 2.0 Pro or Corsair H100 be better?

Also, how do I solve the issue of my 2x GPU heat? I was planning on including them in my water cooling loop, but, now that I've decided against that, I don't know what to do about dissipating their [surely] immense heat. Should I get something like an Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme Plus II, or will simply getting high quality case fans and utilizing good air flow be enough?

I'm gonna be pushing my system pretty hard (gaming, streaming while gaming, recording gameplay while streaming while gaming, editing music and video (possibly while gaming), general use) and want to take care of it. Like I said before, sound isn't an issue as long as it won't prevent someone in another room from sleeping. ;p

I appreciate any and all input you all have to offer. :D

bigbasedrum

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012
From what I've heard, either of the two closed loop water coolers you listed will be better than air. So if I were you I'd go for them. As for the graphics card heat, I wouldn't worry too much as the NZXT Switch has pretty good airflow. What you could do is buy the system and run a few benchmarks while monitoring the temps, and if they are too high for your liking, then only buy the aftermarket coolers. Do keep in mind though that the card you're buying already doesn't have the reference cooler. What I would rather suggest is buying two of these cards:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125414&name=Desktop-Graphics-Cards
They have better coolers and are worth the extra $10

Deakon

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012

Hmm. Really? They'll outperform even the Phanteks PH-TC14PE, Thermalright Silver Arrow, or Noctua NH-D14?

You know, the only reason I had those XFX's picked out is because I scrolled through and looked for highest clocks and stream processors.

Those Gigabytes are actually cheaper after rebate and I should be able to OC them to at least equal the XFX clocks. I dunno why I never paid more attention. lol

Memhorder

Distinguished

Hmm The only reason I can see you saying the Hyper EVO 212 is not good is because everyone uses it as a comparison due to it's high efficiency for air coolers. It is one of the best out there. The Silverstone TD02 or TD03 looks promising as it outperforms The H110. But they are all good coolers with only a few degrees difference. As for GPU cooling. It seems HIS ICE Q X2 cooling solution does a better job but all the aftermarket coolers will keep them fairly cool. Just have some good airflow and life is gravy. I don't know why but the ugliest fans are most efficient and the prettiest are crap.....lol. I guess the smartest engineers have no sense of style or it is a mean joke