Sign in with
Your question

How to make system more responsive and boot faster?

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
October 17, 2011 6:03:39 PM

Hi, I've recently been noticing some sluggishness in my PC, running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit.

Here are my pertinent specs:

- Intel Q6600 (OC'ed to 3.3 GHz)
- 4 GB Kingston ValueRAM DDR2-667 (OC'ed to 735 MHz)
- 160 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 (Primary Drive)
- 500 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 (Secondary Drive)
- Inno3D GTX 460 768 MB (OC'ed to 820 MHz/1025 MHz)
- HEC Cougar 550W 80+ Bronze PSU

I've been wanting to speed up my boot times and application loading times, as I've noticed my system boots just about as fast as my older Lenovo Y310, which has inferior hardware specs (T5550 1.83 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 160 GB 5400 rpm HDD). My Compaq CQ36-110TX boots faster even if it's got similar hardware except for the slower hard drive (i5-430M, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB 5400 rpm HDD). I've also noticed that it now boots noticeably slower than when it was freshly installed. While before I could get to a useable desktop in about a minute, now, I take 100 seconds to reach the desktop and another 30 seconds to a minute to have the background apps load. I've also tried comparing application load times, and for example, my rig opens Photoshop CS5 about 5 seconds slower than it does in my Y310.

I've tried a few of the more common "speed-up-your-boot-time-tips" such as:

- Removing unnecessary programs
- Defragmenting hard drives
- Running disk cleanup
- Removing unwanted startup items in msconfig
- Setting to manual/disabling unwanted services such as Windows Media Player Network Sharing and Wireless Configuration
- Cleaning registry via Ccleaner
- Running a full system scan via MSE
- Freeing up disk space by deleting unnecessary files

Yet, despite all these supposed fixes, my system did not improve its boot times significantly, nor did it feel any snappier.

Are there any other actions that I could do to speed up my system through software fixes? An SSD would definitely help, but I'm looking at no-cost options here. Thanks!
October 17, 2011 10:43:08 PM

Generally going through the steps that you've taken would improve performance.
How many/what items are still listed as starting up in msconfig?

Do you have an antivirus application, as it could be running a startup scan which could cause the system to load slower.

A fresh install of the OS will always boot faster than one which has applications installed.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 17, 2011 11:19:03 PM

A no cost option would be to use sleep to S3 state instead of shutting down.
S3 keeps the contents in ram without writing to the hibernation file and is very quick to sleep and wake up.

But really, a SSD will make everything feel much quicker.
m
l
Related resources
October 18, 2011 7:35:40 AM

i Would recomend a fresh install of windows
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 18, 2011 8:04:41 AM

jut703 said:
Hi, I've recently been noticing some sluggishness in my PC, running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit.

Are there any other actions that I could do to speed up my system through software fixes? An SSD would definitely help, but I'm looking at no-cost options here. Thanks!

Get an SSD, it will knock your socks off. That is the only thing where u will see real speed upgrade. Also new CPU like2600K or2500K, but that is upgrade of the whole system.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 18, 2011 8:07:04 AM

What is your mobo model name? Do u have a SATA3?
m
l
October 18, 2011 9:39:56 AM

Disable Windows search and Indexing services if you don't use search that often. That has quite an impact on performance.

m
l
October 18, 2011 9:45:40 AM

Is your hard drive connected to a high speed SATA port or a slow one? if you have the choice connect it physically to the higher speed port, depends on your motherboard.

Also check your BIOS settings to make sure the drive and port on the MB is running at the highest speed if you have options for that. Sorry I don't know what all the settings are called off by heart but you should be able to recognise these things when going through your BIOS options.

This is only worth it if you're sure that you have no logical issues such as programs making your hard disk run like crazy when you start up? Make sure your antivirus is not set up to run a full scan when you start up and things like this. If you have disk cleaning tools installed make sure they are not proactively scanning your drives since this slows down your system alot.

Hope this helps
m
l
!