Sign in with
Your question

System boots with an i3, but not an i5.

Last response: in CPUs
April 13, 2010 1:46:46 PM

Hey all, I'm not much of an Intel guru here, (I've worked more with AMD (even though I'd love to run myself an i7 soon)

I'm working on a friend's computer here. We've covered all the bases.
He's running a Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3R which is a P55 chipset. It's flashed with the latest BIOS, BIOS settings are stock.

He originally brought it to me with 8 GBs of Corsiar XMS3 that runs @ 1333, 9-9-9-24 and a Core i5 750 (Lynnfield core). Its running two 4860's running in Crossfire.

When we boot it up with the Core i5 in it. it boots up with nothing but an endless rapid beep, only thing to do is shut it down.

Well the first thing I tried doing was swapping out memory to something simpler and slower like some kingston ValueRam. Got nothing out of it. Then I decided to try a different processor which was a Core i3. Once I had it in there with the heatsink mounted, it booted up just fine.

So we came to the conclusion that the Core i5 he bought was bad. Well, this is his 3rd one, the Core i3 still works but we still cannot get it to boot with a Core i5. And I know there is no way that he has run into t3 bad i5's in a row.

Right now I'm thinking it's a problem with the motherboard, but why can it boot with an i3 and not an i5? Are there any clock settings that I need to change in the BIOS to get this thing to boot with an i5?

Thanks for any help, it would be really appreciated.

More about : system boots

a c 131 à CPUs
April 13, 2010 2:49:05 PM

Gorath said:
Right now I'm thinking it's a problem with the motherboard, but why can it boot with an i3 and not an i5? Are there any clock settings that I need to change in the BIOS to get this thing to boot with an i5?

So you can get into the bios?
m
l
a c 161 à CPUs
April 13, 2010 3:50:02 PM

The i5 that you are installed is supported by the mobo?, do you have the correct BIOS version for the i5?
m
l
Related resources
a c 77 à CPUs
April 13, 2010 5:01:34 PM

What does the motherboard owners manual say about the rapid beeps? Have you reset the CMOS?
m
l
a c 149 à CPUs
April 14, 2010 12:17:34 AM

take out all your ram and boot, you should get the machinegun beeps. Now install 1 stick into the white slot closest to the cpu. You hopefully will get a checksum error and be able to post after that. From there you can add ram to the other white slot and then the blue slots.

Let me know if that worked for you.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 14, 2010 1:30:26 AM

which I3 did you use?
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 14, 2010 1:49:51 AM

Is it possible it isn't getting enough power? Its doubtful but worth a shot. Maybe a test run with only a single GPU?

Also, make sure you are doing a hard CMOS. Meaning taking out the battery and moving the jumper, instead of just pushing a button or flipping a switch. (If this applys to you)
m
l
!