Sign in with
Your question

Core I7 920 Temp Problem, NEED EXPERT'S OPINION!!!

Last response: in CPUs
April 13, 2010 2:35:45 PM

I have a core i7 920 with a Zalman 9900 CPU Cooler and I am having some temperature issues right now. When I first built this machine I overclocked it to 3.6GHz using 1.28V. my temperature reading then was around 24-26C idle and 56-64C full load, it was similar to 3Dgameman's review of the cooler. however a nuke-n-pave and bios update later my temperature shot up to 42-48C idle and 68-74C full load. we tried everything... reseating the heatsink/CPU, backflashed the bios to what i originally had... none seems to work. oh and our ambient temp is 22C.... anyone got anything to say to this??????

My System:
Case: Raven RV01
CPU/Cooler: Intel Core I7 920 OCed@3.6 GHz / Zalman 9900 CPU Cooler
MotherBoard: ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
PSU: Corsair HX1000W
GPU: EVGA GTX285 2GB FTW Edition
Memory: 6GB Corsair Dominator GT 1600mhz
HDD: Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black 7200rpm
Optics: LG DVD Burner/Reader
a c 131 à CPUs
April 13, 2010 5:08:46 PM

Never heard the expression "nuke n pave" before but I think the problem could be with the bios flash.

This is more of an educated guess but I think the following:
1. The new bios version corrected a problem with it sensing the CPU temperature and it is now accurate.
2. The new bios change is a bit messed and isn't reporting the temperature properly.

Edit: Nvm you said you backflashed the bios to the previous version.

Double check the voltage settings. Maybe flashing the bios changed the voltage settings.
m
l
April 13, 2010 6:02:55 PM

by "nuke n pave" i mean erased the hard drive and reinstalled operating system. voltage is currently 1.225V and my temp is still around 43-48C idle, ambient temp is 24C. The reason i believe my previous temp are correct is because i read a few reviews about my cooler, including 3DGameman's video review, his temp OCed at 4.0GHz is around 24-26C with ambient at 23C.
m
l
Related resources
April 13, 2010 8:10:39 PM

Id check your voltages like enzo said. What may have detected as a default voltage before may have shot up with the old BIOS. Go down the list and see what changed, you may very well have to familiarize yourself with every option.
m
l
a c 340 à CPUs
April 13, 2010 8:32:25 PM

1) Recheck your cpu cooler mount. A common mistake is to use too much thermal interface material, making it act as an insulator. It is very hard to use too little.
2) The Zalman 9900 is a great looking cooler, but It may not be one of the most efficient.
3) You have a very hot graphics card which may be contributing to your cpu cooling issues.
4) Is your case cooling the best? Try running with the side of the case removed and with a house fan directed at the innards. If your temperatures drop significantly, look into case cooling solutions.
5) How are the temperatures measured? There are several different ways, and all are approximate calculations. Try some different measuring tools and see if you can get any agreement.
m
l
April 13, 2010 8:38:15 PM

The CNPS 9900 is the best cooler you can buy. I have one and its incredible. HARDOCP came to the same conclusion with it beating out the TRUE by a notable margin.
m
l
a c 340 à CPUs
April 13, 2010 9:06:05 PM

One of the issues with the 9900 is that you must use the stock fan. On a review, I saw, it operated at about 27c above ambient, compared to a prolimatech magahalems at 22c above.
Here is the review: http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

Still all the top coolers are decent, and the differences are only important to high overclockers.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 13, 2010 9:22:37 PM

mcnuggetofdeath said:
The CNPS 9900 is the best cooler you can buy. I have one and its incredible. HARDOCP came to the same conclusion with it beating out the TRUE by a notable margin.

The CNPS 9900 is a mediocre cooler. In terms of price-for-performance, it is one of the worst coolers you can buy today.

It performed the worst out the reviewed coolers:
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

On Newegg, it costs around $60-$70 today...whereas you can get a much better performing Mugen2, CM V8, Xigmatech Dark Knight, etc for cheaper.

To OP:
Considering better coolers would also reach the low 70s'C with an overclock to 3.6GHz, I am not surprised your i7 920 OCed to 3.6GHz is also hitting the 70s'C. But honestly, your full load temps are fine as long as you keep it under 80'C for general use.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 13, 2010 10:22:10 PM

Honestly those temps don't seem that bad for the OC you're running. I mean, they could be better (my i5 hits about 55C at load OCed to 3.6), but its still generally OK. like others have said- verify you don't have too much thermal paste in there.
m
l
April 13, 2010 11:47:22 PM

like i said before, my temp was around 24-26 before i did the whole crapshoot, theres no reason for it to jump by 20C. i use both speedfan and realtemp to monitor my temperature. if my temp was this high at the beginning i would not be so concerned, but it wasn't. my voltage reading from the bios is 1.225V now. but before when my temp was low my voltage was all the way at 1.28V, so it doesnt make any sense. im no computer amateur and I know my cooler isnt the best, but even at stock my temp are still in the low 40s at idle. my case cooling is fine, it dont change much when i have the side panel off. do any of you think the voltage reader is wrong and is actually putting more voltage into the CPU than the bio says?
m
l
April 14, 2010 1:18:55 AM

Bluescreendeath said:
The CNPS 9900 is a mediocre cooler. In terms of price-for-performance, it is one of the worst coolers you can buy today.

It performed the worst out the reviewed coolers:
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

On Newegg, it costs around $60-$70 today...whereas you can get a much better performing Mugen2, CM V8, Xigmatech Dark Knight, etc for cheaper.

To OP:
Considering better coolers would also reach the low 70s'C with an overclock to 3.6GHz, I am not surprised your i7 920 OCed to 3.6GHz is also hitting the 70s'C. But honestly, your full load temps are fine as long as you keep it under 80'C for general use.

I like the Mugen 2. Ill give you that, but it gets beaten. Plain and simple. I dont know what your review used to test but hardocp used a dremel to get a thermal sensor on the die, so it wouldnt rely on a tcase reading which can be wildly inaccurate as evidenced by the topic of the thread. http://www.hardocp.com/article/2009/10/15/intel_core_i7...

$30-40 more is worth it when you get that big a difference with temperatures and when youre setup is worth more than a few hundred dollars.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 14, 2010 6:02:22 AM

hmm, I see. Your hardocp link appears to have the CNPS9900 performing quite well.

In that case, you are correct in saying the 9900 is a good cooler.

I don't know why there's a huge disparity between the benchmarks.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 14, 2010 3:40:58 PM

It is odd that it changed so much even after you flashed back to the previous BIOS. Have you used CPU-z to see what its reading for your voltages? That could at least help verify voltage levels. Also - I guess it could be possible that the BIOS flashes (even with rolling back) that its not reading something properly. Might be worth trying another version of the BIOS if you can.
m
l
April 14, 2010 7:52:17 PM

flyinfinni said:
It is odd that it changed so much even after you flashed back to the previous BIOS. Have you used CPU-z to see what its reading for your voltages? That could at least help verify voltage levels. Also - I guess it could be possible that the BIOS flashes (even with rolling back) that its not reading something properly. Might be worth trying another version of the BIOS if you can.

yah, i got suggestion on resetting cmos, maybe it'll work... we have tried 3 version of bios with no success. my CPU-Z reads 1.216 core voltage which is close to what i set on the bios 1.225
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 14, 2010 7:57:12 PM

ok- your voltage should be fairly accurate then. Not sure where to tell you to turn next though- doesn't make sense unless somehow you "broke" the thermal sensor or something, or the old version of the BIOS you updated from was reading it wrong. Could be you've always been operating at that temp, and it was just reading lower.
m
l
April 14, 2010 8:56:17 PM

flyinfinni said:
ok- your voltage should be fairly accurate then. Not sure where to tell you to turn next though- doesn't make sense unless somehow you "broke" the thermal sensor or something, or the old version of the BIOS you updated from was reading it wrong. Could be you've always been operating at that temp, and it was just reading lower.

yah i thought about that, but if that is the case, then all the reviews i read about the cooler is wrong....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uIN_p7W2I0

I had temps similar to his...

i first used TX-3, then *** goes down i switched to AS5... dont fix the problem.....
(TX-3 worked fine aka i applied it correctly.... till we did the whole crapshoot)
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 14, 2010 8:59:26 PM

Well- are you sure all of your case fans and everything are still working properly? Did the fan speeds of your CPU fan change? did your ambient temps go up a bunch? BIOS updates could have changed the fan settings for the CPU. Might be worth checking.
m
l
April 14, 2010 9:04:55 PM

flyinfinni said:
Well- are you sure all of your case fans and everything are still working properly? Did the fan speeds of your CPU fan change? did your ambient temps go up a bunch? BIOS updates could have changed the fan settings for the CPU. Might be worth checking.

yep checked all the fans too, everything is working, we check from the bios to confirm fan speed instead just looking at speed fan. ambient is still 24C. it sure is a weird problem..... i might lower the voltage a little tonight and see if the voltage sensor is broken or something... n im gonna try to clear my cmos... worst come to worst i'll flash the bios to see if its the bio's problem

really missing my old temp lol
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 14, 2010 9:08:05 PM

yeah- I understand missing your old temps. Hope that flashing or lowering voltage or something works out. Good luck man, and let us know how things go.
m
l
April 20, 2010 6:37:29 AM

flyinfinni said:
yeah- I understand missing your old temps. Hope that flashing or lowering voltage or something works out. Good luck man, and let us know how things go.

i cleared the cmos.... didn't do much, maybe i should try again and remount the heatsink.....
m
l
!