SLI TOTAL WASTE OF MONEY

Status
Not open for further replies.

muratgemici2003

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
Why would anyone use sli (just to do it I think) when you are only bumping up performance 30%?? It seems you are wasting 70% of your money. Aren't you better off getting the single best video card that is on the market????

Yeah one single more powerful card is always better, but not everyone has the money to always buy the best single card so they might choose to buy a 2nd card to keep there systems performance up to date.

BTW you can get more than just 30% performance increase from SLi and for that matter crossfire aswell.

paperfox

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
I find it physically impossible for 1+1 to = 3 more like 1+1=1.7 or 1.95 at best for SLI/XFire. Expanding on what Gamerk316 said with an example. Say you have a 4870 and want to upgrade, your options add a 4870 to get 5870 perfomance for a mere $150 or get that 5870 for $400 (maybe $325 if you sell your 4870 for $75).

Its kind of like: why buy an I7 975 when you could get a I7 920 and overclock for much less.

belial2k

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
There is some pretty simple video card math...two weaker cards will almost always beat a single card if you are spending the same amount of money. That is why for many people who want to get the absolute best performance on a given budget they will go sli/crossfire.

domjam

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2014
Single cards are better then sli...when the next big card comes out thats coming with a new architecture. aswell as prob more Memory.. look at the old 980s. 4gig cards. then 980ti came out 6gig.. it seems as tech advances.. more memory comes out..so regardless of your performance boost.. though you might get a little bit more faster then a single top end card. your not going to get more memory and with the way things are going memory is a must. going sli is only limiting that factor. and wasting your money. not to mention more heat and over all power consumption..so i dont think sli is worth it personally.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Ie7ywJG.jpg

This thread is over 8 years old.

Closing.
Wolfshadw

Status
Not open for further replies.