Overclocking RAM and warranty

Tags:
  • Memory
  • Overclocking
  • RAM
  • Corsair
Last response: in Overclocking
October 22, 2012 9:14:23 PM

Does overclocking RAM generally void the warranty? Specifically, Corsair Vengeance RAM (CML16GX3M4A1600C9 model).

I've heard it's okay as long as you don't go over a certain voltage, but how high? It'd be strange if it did void the warranty considering they heavily advertise that this brand of RAM is good for overclocking.

Thanks.

More about : overclocking ram warranty

a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
October 23, 2012 3:09:05 AM

I think it would void the warranty but even if the chips died. How would they know you tried to overclock them. Ram doesn't save anything once the power is cut off from it. Plus it is the motherboard that stores all the overclocking information in the bios file.
October 24, 2012 5:06:29 AM

Good point, but I assume they have ways of knowing; RAM that dies due to overclocking surely has some tell-tale signs of it. Or maybe even if it doesn't break from overclocking and something else goes wrong, perhaps overclocking changes it in some way? I don't know, maybe I'm just being paranoid.
Related resources
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
October 24, 2012 5:47:23 AM

too much overvolt and too high frequency absolutely cause too much heat..
it will burn "something" in memory chip..

And it is make some smell of burning component...

smell of burning component makes the vendor know that you do some "nuts" overclock and and that will void your warranty... :D 

That's the tale.. :D 
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
October 24, 2012 6:51:44 AM

Guess it all depends on how far you want to overclock your ram. Small amounts say 100Mhz with no voltage adjustment the mfg would have no way of knowing that the ram was overclocked,

Besides Ram is cheap, so I don't worry about it too much.
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
October 24, 2012 8:37:04 AM

i wouldnt overclock ram tbh. its pretty tempermental and often binned properly. if u wanted faster ram you really should have just spent the few dollars more and bought it to begin with.
October 24, 2012 2:56:21 PM

neon neophyte said:
i wouldnt overclock ram tbh. its pretty tempermental and often binned properly. if u wanted faster ram you really should have just spent the few dollars more and bought it to begin with.

It may be different for you Americans but here in the UK, it would've cost me quite a bit more for low-profile (neeeded it due to my cooler) 1866 or 2133 RAM over 1600. At least $65 more (this is for 16GB).

I'll consider trying to overclock it to 1866.
November 1, 2012 12:15:48 AM

I noticed that Patriot recommends upping the voltage on their signature line of memory to make it more stable when overclocking, so I would think there's some hard limits for this sort of thing. Plus the memory I bought was 1600mhz that could OC to 2000mhz, so I assume they understand that you will OC if they're selling it as part of their marketing strategy.

"For most of our overclocked lines require a voltage increase to achieve the rated speeds; the memory will boot at lower speeds for compatibility across different platforms. You will need to manually set the timings in the bios (since boot-voltage cannot be set)."
- http://www.patriotmemory.com/support/faq1p.jsp?id=120
!