HDD Sata II storage with Sata III SSD OS?

Ectomar

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
Is such a thing even possible? If I run my OS and program files off an 120gb SSD in sata 3 and run a storage drive on sata 2, will they work together no problem?

Solution
No the intel RST driver is NOT the Firmware.
1) latest firmware for the SSD comes from Corsair.

2) Make sure Bios is set for AHCI
3) Intel RST driver is from Intel and install AFTER operating system is install (can install by selecting F6 during Installation by selecting custom install.

Intel download page, just select your operating system, then drivers
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Chipsets&ProductLine=Chipset+Software&ProductProduct=Intel%c2%ae+Rapid+Storage+Technology
Yes, they will work together with no problems, but the motherboard you have listed (M3N72-D) has no SATA 3 (6Gb/s) ports. It only has SATA 2 (3Gb/s) ports.

Make sure whatever port your SSD is connected to is in AHCI mode for best performance.

Ectomar

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
Thanks! I just picked up a few parts today:

i5 2500k
gigabyte GA-Z68-D3H-B3 mobo
8g ripjaw x 1600
120gb corsair force gt
H70 cooler

So the board has sata 3 and the srt but I think I'll skip the SRT and go with 2 drives.

Also, I should have no issue just plugging in a storage drive from my current rig as the storage drive with the new ssd correct?

Correct. Connect your SSD in AHCI mode to port SATA3_0 or SATA3_1. Connect your storage drive to any of the SATA 3Gb/s ports (SATA2_2 thru SATA2_5).

The drive from the "old" computer will be fine in the new computer.

Plug the SSD into the INTEL SATA III port 0 and your HDDs and DVD drives into the Intel Sata II ports. Also make sure you use the latest Intel RST AHCI) driver for Your SSD.
Normal precaution - Make sure Bios set to AHCI.

After Installing win7/drivers down load as ssd and install/run. Do not need to run the benchies. Look at the upper left it will identify:
SSD model and firmware ver.
Driver should be iaSTor (msahci ok, but performance slightly better with iaSTor). If pcide = BAD then need to correct.
Will also show partition alignment = OK

Ectomar

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
Awesome, thanks for the heads up! All new to the SSD world! As for the iRST drivers, if i'm not using the technology to cache on the ssd do I need to update them still? As in do the get used or implemented?

Yes, Intel RST (Rapid Storage Technology) are the AHCI/RAID drivers.
Intel SRT (Smart Response Technology) is the software used to cache a SSD to a HDD with an Operating System installed on it. You won't need to use SRT in your situation.

Ectomar

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012

The Intel Rst AHCI driver for my SSD is the firmware? Kinda getting ahead of myself here tho since I can't even install windows onto it so far...

No the intel RST driver is NOT the Firmware.
1) latest firmware for the SSD comes from Corsair.

2) Make sure Bios is set for AHCI
3) Intel RST driver is from Intel and install AFTER operating system is install (can install by selecting F6 during Installation by selecting custom install.

Intel download page, just select your operating system, then drivers
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Chipsets&ProductLine=Chipset+Software&ProductProduct=Intel%c2%ae+Rapid+Storage+Technology

Solution