Setting up a Home Network

staalkoppie

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
I am setting-up a Home network.

In this network, I would like to add 3 PC's.

1 x wireless laptop running on Win 7 64bit
1 x wireless XP PC running Win XP 32bit
1 x Cable PC running Win7 64bit

I would like to connect these computers a DLINK 802.11G WIRELESS ADSL ROUTER PIDSL-2640U that I'll be connecting to a 1024kbs ADSL internet line.

I have limited knowledge and have previously only set-up LAN connections on XP computers.

Can somebody tell me which steps to follow.I am strugling just to share files between my 2 Win7 computers :( ..what firewall settings needs to be in place to keep my network save ,yet be able to share files over my network?...How to set up the router IP, and or if it comes with a default IP....

A list or guideline would be greatly appreciated!! I'd truly be indebted to anyone that can assist.

Solution
For your two windows 7 computers make sure they are in the same "homegroup"
open the control panel and search for homegroup.

Ill have to wait till i get home to see if i can share with my xp machine and my two win 7 machines.... i havent had the need to try.

nickdave

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
For your two windows 7 computers make sure they are in the same "homegroup"
open the control panel and search for homegroup.

Ill have to wait till i get home to see if i can share with my xp machine and my two win 7 machines.... i havent had the need to try.

Solution

staalkoppie

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
Thanks, the xp pc was pretty straight forward. The two win7 pC's are a diffrent thing all together. I am able to create a home network on both, but not join??! and after they eventually "see" each other on the network, I can not shere files, and it either asks for a password or it says access restricted, and I need to contact my system administrator.