New System for New builder v2 (high end gaming)

cythx

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
Save yourself £30 and get a seriously good PSU: Antec CP850 850W Modular PSU £101.60. Review. The only reason not to get that Antec one is if you want to be able to use it in a future system in a different case AND the CPX form factor doesn't catch on.
Don't really have much to say about the rest considering that I didn't see your other thread.

foolycooly

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
looks like a very solid build. You obviously don't need a monitor or OS or any other peripherals? I was going to suggest a different set of RAM, but that one has very good timings at a good price--I can't comment on its quality though as I've never used any Patriot RAM before.

cythx

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
And yes Fooly I need EVERYTHING else lol, OS, KB, Mouse, Sound System, Headset, Moustmat and a Monitor.

Quick Question, If i get one of the 120 Mhz monitors, will running it at 120 Mhz reduce my fps on games?

I gotta echo Silvie on the CP-850 ..... not putting a CP-850 in there would be criminal :) ... The 1200 is a CPX form factor case and the CP-850 is made specifically for that case on two others (P193 / P183)

Don't get me wrong, electrically the HC850 is an extremely high performance PSU.....but not only does the CP-850 match it electrically, it's also quieter than the HX.....not to mention $70 cheaper than the HX. The CP-850 makes the Editpr's Choice List at http://www.silentpcreview.com/article699-page1.html whereas the HX gets rated a notch down on the recommended list. The corresponding jonnyguru reviews are listed below:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=153
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story4&reid=142

If the CPX form factor catches on, the CP-850 will be flat out untouchable. It is completely unmatched by any ATX unit on the market I can think of. You'd have to spend twice as much as this thing costs to find the next best thing, performance wise.

I don't know how Antec managed something this awesome for such a low price, but they must really want the CPX form factor taking off if this is the performance we're getting.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article971-page7.html

The Antec CP-850 is a superlative power supply by almost any standard. Its electrical performance is up at the level of its more expensive brethren, the Signature 650 and 850, and Seasonic's flagship, the M12D-850: Voltage regulation is extremely tight for all the lines at all loads, and the ripple noise is amazingly low.

The noise performance is excellent, with the <400W performance matching or bettering virtually every PSU tested thus far. Above 500W load in our heat box, the noise level goes over 40 dBA@1m, or about the norm for PSUs rated this high. It has the virtue keeping itself extremely cool, however, cooler than any other PSU we've tested at such high loads.

Our atypical spot check with a room ambient thermal test showed the CP-850 would reach only 24 dBA@1m at 700W load in a 27°C working environment. This is ridiculously quiet for such high power output.

For the quiet-seeking computer gaming enthusiast, the CP-850 (along with any of the three compatible cases) is something of a godsend. Fantastically stable power, super low noise at any power load, long expected reliability due to excellent cooling, modular cabling, and all at a price that's no higher than many high end 6~700W models. That you're limited to one of three well-executed high cases from Antec — one mostly for silence (P183), one mostly for gaming (1200) and one that's really an ultimate everyman case (P193) — is not exactly a hardship either.

MoBo - Not a fan of the AsRock ... at this point, I'm thinking USB 3 and SATA II compatibility is the way to go and that points to the ASUS P6X58D Premium .... the PSU cost savings should get you most of the way there. If budget still a problem, consider an 1156 based system which uses 2 x 2GB memory saving some more moola.

RAM - You'll need a 3 x 2B kit for 1366 socket MoBos.

Hard Drives - Check out the performance charts and pick whatever 500 GB per platter drive performs best under your usage patterns. The WD Black 2 TB is a good choice but at smaller capacities, you are limited to the Seagate 7200.12 or the Spinpoint F3. The 7200.12 excels in gaming, multimedia and pictures whereas the F3 wins at music and movie maker. See the comparisons here (copy past link in manually, link won't work in forum):

(http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2009-3.5-desktop-hard-drive-charts/compare,1006.html?prod[2371]=on&prod[2770]=on)

cythx

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010

I've been told multiple times that I don't need 3 sticks of RAM for a triple channel Motherboard. Even by people with dual channel RAM in combination with triple channel Motherboards, pretty sure its in another thread I made.

Anyone else use dual channel RAM in a triple channel Mobo?

Only difference I hear is it is slightly less optimized.

But I think I'll take you up on the suggestion of the 7200.12 :) Thanks

Jack, I approve of the nickname. :)
For some reason I missed the dual channel 'mistake', maybe I was hungry...
I think it would be a good idea to get the right memory configuration for the platform. There is a good set of 6GB (3x2GB) 1333mhz on ebuyer for around £125. Which is mostly paid for by the change of PSU if the mobo isn't changed. Alternatively go 1156.

cythx

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010

Because I've been told by someone who runs 4 Gig RAM on his Triple Channel MoBo that it works just fine? And because 920 is more future proof, full Dual 16X video bandwidth, its also cheaper and the I can easily upgrade to i9 if I ever need 6 cores.

This is the other cooler I had in mind, do you have anything to prove it keeps your cooler at a lower temp? I only put up the one listed because on digital versus it shows more powerful then all the coolermaster brand cooler's here.
http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.php?ty=60&ma1=355&mo1=34&p1=4304&ma2=332&mo2=44&p2=4559&ph=4

lothdk

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010

You are comparing it to a V8 which is not the greatest of coolers.

Let me see if I can find some reviews.

cythx

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010

I said compared to /all/ ones found on that website :p

Thanks a lot for the review

lothdk

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010

The Asus board does not support SLI, and the Gigabyte can only accommodate 1 kit of triple channel memory (should you ever wish to upgrade).

I have never worked with Patriot ram, but once you have decided on a motherboard, check the manufacturers site for compatible ram.

darkside_gamer7

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
Hey I was just saying the dual channel comment becuase you are buying a board that is built for Trip channel and you are just throwing away the option. Trip channel has more bandwidth then the dual channel when on those boards becuase of the bridge controllers are built to optimize for trip channel ram...all I was trying to put across...sry if I made you feel like NOOB was stamped on your forehead or was being a jerk

lothdk

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010

I think darkside_gamer is talking about the X58 board since he is mentioning triplechannel memory, so the board he is talking about would be ASUS P6X58D Premium.

These new Asus Premium boards support Sata 6 GB and USB 3.

More and more games make use of multi threading, so yes, for a new gaming PC I would go quad core if the budget allows, have to remember, besides the game itself, there's the Windows processes, firewall, anti virus and whatever else people have running in the background.