Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Upgrading to Nvidia 9500gt

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 29, 2010 8:40:08 PM

This is my rig as it stands now http://www.emachines.com/products/products.html?prod=ET... .. Its brand new as of Xmas and it has a 250w power supply. I am wondering if I should worry about upgrading to a 9500gt Nvidia card without upgrading my power supply .. its a low power card but I don't have much money and I cant afford a new power supply yet. My friend says I'm fine but I just don't know.
January 29, 2010 8:55:38 PM

I put your info through newegg's psu calculator - the result was 278 watts recommended. Man - that's close. But you said that you are getting a low power card; how much less power does it use than a normal 9500gt? They didn't have an option for that. I'd check the reputation of the PSU manufacturer before you try this one.
m
l
January 29, 2010 8:55:58 PM

it doesn't look like your computer has a pci-e port or any kind of internal hardware port for that matter, so basically you can't put in a graphics card.
m
l
Related resources
January 29, 2010 9:03:27 PM

yes it has a Pci-e port but thanks for your concern, I'm not very good with hardware I just know that Nvidia 9500 is a low end Game card and Ive not yet picked wich model I am getting so I am not sure what kind of power it needs .. whats the worst that could happen? O.o

"If I do upgrade will this do alright? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... .. I'm very low on cash and not looking to stay up to date for games two years from now."
m
l

Best solution

a c 273 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
a c 172 Î Nvidia
January 29, 2010 9:16:45 PM

A GT220 is about the same performance level of a 9500GT but because of the 40nm GPU it should use less power.
a b U Graphics card
January 29, 2010 9:16:47 PM

the worst you say... burning down your house?

but most likely blowing the psu and some components to ash. defiantly not worth to risk it.
m
l
January 29, 2010 9:26:31 PM

i think all that would happen is your 9500 wouldn't run at full performance. my laptop has a 125W psu which is underpowered for it. people say that getting a more powerful psu improves framerate. so basically the psu maxes out at 125W so it won't break.
m
l
January 29, 2010 9:30:42 PM

Thanks mousemonkey for pointing that card out .. it seems to run fallout3 better then the 9500 O.o .. though my only way of checking a GPU card out is youtube xD .. I is a noob .. sooo should I worry still about my PSU with that card even? and is it better or worse? I suck with this stuff T_T
m
l
a c 273 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
a c 172 Î Nvidia
January 29, 2010 9:31:31 PM

Ultimate_Destructo said:
i think all that would happen is your 9500 wouldn't run at full performance. my laptop has a 125W psu which is underpowered for it. people say that getting a more powerful psu improves framerate. so basically the psu maxes out at 125W so it won't break.

That makes no sense and has no bearing on the OP's question.
m
l
a c 273 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
a c 172 Î Nvidia
January 29, 2010 9:37:50 PM

nizzle89 said:
Thanks mousemonkey for pointing that card out .. it seems to run fallout3 better then the 9500 O.o .. though my only way of checking a GPU card out is youtube xD .. I is a noob .. sooo should I worry still about my PSU with that card even? and is it better or worse? I suck with this stuff T_T

Unless you are going to get a good quality PSU which is going to be about the same cost as the card, I'd try the card first and see if it runs.
m
l
January 29, 2010 9:50:41 PM

nizzle89 said:
This is my rig as it stands now http://www.emachines.com/products/products.html?prod=ET... .. Its brand new as of Xmas and it has a 250w power supply. I am wondering if I should worry about upgrading to a 9500gt Nvidia card without upgrading my power supply .. its a low power card but I don't have much money and I cant afford a new power supply yet. My friend says I'm fine but I just don't know.

I have a 9500gt...I'll sell it to ya. had it 6 months...upgraded to a 4770
nothing bad can happen to your computer, it just not might run at full effect...
m
l
January 29, 2010 9:55:56 PM

thanks for the offer but I'm still trying to figure out this PSU thing and looking into the GT220. I just don't know what makes the $20 400w PSU diffrent then the $70 one T_T
m
l
January 29, 2010 10:00:36 PM

Best answer selected by nizzle89.
m
l
January 29, 2010 10:09:14 PM

nizzle89 said:
Best answer selected by nizzle89.

n
nThanks for selecting a best answer. It's always nice to see, even if it wasn't mine :) 
m
l
January 29, 2010 11:05:18 PM

Alrighty .. just dug into my old PC and the PSU is 350w. I LOVE FREE THINGS! xD Woot!
m
l
January 30, 2010 12:18:57 AM

Mousemonkey said:
That makes no sense and has no bearing on the OP's question.

it does make sense and it is relevant. if you had read the previous post, the guy said that overloading the psu would blow it up, and while i don't have experience with an overloaded desktop psu, my laptop's psu cannot be overloaded.
m
l
January 30, 2010 1:09:52 AM

Ultimate_Destructo said:
it does make sense and it is relevant. if you had read the previous post, the guy said that overloading the psu would blow it up, and while i don't have experience with an overloaded desktop psu, my laptop's psu cannot be overloaded.

Ok. I imagine that the reason people are telling you that your laptop would get better framerates with an upgraded psu is that they have reason to believe that it is throttling its speed to avoid overloading the power brick. While smart self monitoring is very common in laptops, it is much less so in desktops. Also, remember that your laptop has a battery to fall back on if it needs more power. The only fallback that a desktop has is (hopefully) an overload protection circuit.
m
l
!