Sign in with
Your question
Solved

What do I need to catpure PS3 games IN HD

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 29, 2010 8:43:21 PM

What can I use....? As long as it can capture 720p(or 1080i/p) resolution, I am fine with it.

I am looking for any device that can be used.

They shouldn't be no more than $250, anything less than that, I can spend it. It would be nice if it is inexpensive.

I have a fast PC, so I am okay with anything.

More about : catpure ps3 games

Best solution

January 30, 2010 12:00:22 PM

shizk said:
What can I use....? As long as it can capture 720p(or 1080i/p) resolution, I am fine with it.

I am looking for any device that can be used.

They shouldn't be no more than $250, anything less than that, I can spend it. It would be nice if it is inexpensive.

I have a fast PC, so I am okay with anything.

I just picked up a Hauppauge HD PVR from B&H Photo and Video for a shade over $200 including shipping.

HD PVR

It has a hardware encoder, so the PC doesn't have to be that great to record, just to play the video back. It works fine with a PS3 as well as most cable boxes etc. It does connect with component cables, which is actually kind of good in my opinion, as it should make it a lot harder to stop with copy protection, or that's the sentiment that I've read about it that led to me making the purchase.

balanovich said:
This should do the trick.
http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/

However, i think it is limited to 1080i. Check the specs and the software.

If you want to use your PS3 as a B-Ray player and record movie, it should do the trick.

I'd stay away from this, as it could probably be blocked via HDCP at some point, but that's just my opinion. Whatever you decide let us know.

Edit: Just saw that this one has analog connections as well. I guess the main advantage of the HD PVR is the fact that it has a hardware encoder, so you can save your pc when recording. As I said, it's just the playback that would require the PC to work.
Related resources
January 30, 2010 5:26:41 PM

The HD PVR doesn't have an HDMI input..... this means that PS3 must be able to output 1080i or 720p video through component cables.

"I'd stay away from this, (the Blackmagic card)as it could probably be blocked via HDCP at some point"

Shyt!
"Copy Protection: For legal reasons, capture devices from Blackmagic Design are designed not to capture, convert or transmit video or audio from copy-protected sources, e.g. video devices using HDCP."
Is the PS3 an HDCP device ?
January 30, 2010 6:08:10 PM

balanovich said:
The HD PVR doesn't have an HDMI input..... this means that PS3 must be able to output 1080i or 720p video through component cables.

"I'd stay away from this, (the Blackmagic card)as it could probably be blocked via HDCP at some point"

Shyt!
"Copy Protection: For legal reasons, capture devices from Blackmagic Design are designed not to capture, convert or transmit video or audio from copy-protected sources, e.g. video devices using HDCP."
Is the PS3 an HDCP device ?

Some of the content played on it could possibly be. I could see movies and/or games being protected with it, but I'm not sure.

You can buy a component cable for the PS3 for fairly cheap online as well, then you'd have what you need. I'm in the process of picking one of those up, so I can do some game recording as well.
January 30, 2010 8:57:12 PM

I'm going with the HD PVR than. I will pick it up by this week.
I don't want SOME content to be played but all :p 

Thanks for the help.
January 31, 2010 12:56:07 AM

shizk said:

Thanks for the help.

Your welcome.
February 1, 2010 11:10:47 AM

shizk said:

Thanks for the help.

Hey man. I just wanted to bring this to your attention. It looks like at least one person is having trouble capturing Blu-Ray movies with the newest version of the HD-PVR. They haven't figured out the actual cause yet, and it shouldn't effect games, but I at least wanted to make you aware of it. Just in case it would change your mind about purchasing it.
February 1, 2010 8:15:48 PM

If you only want it for movies.... a Pc B-ray reader if less than 200$... you could RIP all the movie you want.
February 1, 2010 9:08:49 PM

balanovich said:
If you only want it for movies.... a Pc B-ray reader if less than 200$... you could RIP all the movie you want.

He never said anything about using the movies, if you read the thread. I just wanted to make sure he was aware that there were a few issues in that area, in case it was part of the reason he made the decision. His main reason for wanting it was to record video game footage.
February 2, 2010 3:22:53 AM

Where did you hear from that one person who is having problems
February 2, 2010 10:04:10 AM

balanovich said:
Where did you hear from that one person who is having problems

Link
February 2, 2010 7:23:25 PM

If even analog signals are copy protected...... try linux for recording copyrighted materials.
I don't know if you like linux, but there might be drivers or software that allows to copy anything.
February 2, 2010 9:16:03 PM

Best answer selected by shizk.
!