Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Z68 - SRT cache and boot volume on single SSD disk - full success!

Last response: in Storage
February 8, 2012 7:43:58 AM

OK, here goes, i'm setting up an upgrade system -:
Case Fractal Define XL V3
Seasonic 1Kw PSU
M/B Asrock Extreme 7 Gen 3 6xSATA3 4 x SATA 2
CPU Intel 2600K
Ram 16GB Ripjaws 2133 CL9
HDD 6 x 2TB 4 x 1.5TB 1 x 1TB 1 x 0.75TB (old boot disk)
2 x 60GB SSD (SATA II) 1 x Blu ray burner
Asus internal 2 x Sata III 2 x USB 3 (PCIe 4 x)
Internal 4 port Sata 2 (PCIe 1x)
Dual digital TV tuner card
Fatality pro soundblaser Soundcard
Video GTX 570
monitors 2 x 24" 1920 x 1200

SO i'm new to the abilities of the Z68 to speed up boot and load times,
so......

Should i make 1 RAID SSD of 120GB, then split to 2 partitions, 1 cache the other OS + a few main apps
or 2 separate SSD's with cache on 1 and OS onth eother
OR should i use them as "shadow" cache for the boot drive ?
and if so 1 x RAID or separate, with one used for ...?
well you tell me..
a c 308 G Storage
February 8, 2012 9:47:18 AM

The current advice is to get the largest capacity solid state drive you can afford. Install Microsoft Windows 7, software applications, and utilities on the ssd. Save data files to hard disk drives. You would have to be doing very special professional or scientific work to justify a RAID array. If you are a gamer a RAID array will not improve gameplay. In addition the Microsoft Windows TRIM command does not support ssd's in a RAID array.

It's been a while since someone has asked about Intel Smart Response technology. It is an old technology from a few years ago. Here is my standard answer about using an ssd as a cache:

Intel's SRT caching technology was designed for buyers who could not justify or afford the cost of a larger capacity solid-state drive. According to Intel, the original idea was that for about $100.00 a user could purchase a small capacity ssd of about 10 to 20GB and use it as a cache to improve hard disk drive performance. The Operating system and programs were actually stored on a hard disk drive. The actual improvement could not compare to a stand alone ssd. Intel also looked at different capacities all the way up to 512GB and concluded 64GB was the point of diminishing return. It made more sense to use a 64GB ssd as a boot drive that also contained software programs. Intel was hoping that if business clients saw an increase in performance, then they would be induced to purchase larger capacity ssd's that promised an even greater boost in performance.

A lot has changed sinced then, especially prices. Might as well take full advantage of ssd performance.
m
l
February 8, 2012 9:55:44 AM

JohnnyLucky said:
The current advice is to get the largest capacity solid state drive you can afford. Install Microsoft Windows 7, software applications, and utilities on the ssd. Save data files to hard disk drives. You would have to be doing very special professional or scientific work to justify a RAID array.

It's been a while since someone has asked about Intel Smart Response technology. It is an old technology from a few years ago. Here is my standard answer about using an ssd as a cache:

Intel's SRT caching technology was designed for buyers who could not justify or afford the cost of a larger capacity solid-state drive. According to Intel, the original idea was that for about $100.00 a user could purchase a small capacity ssd of about 10 to 20GB and use it as a cache to improve hard disk drive performance. The Operating system and programs were actually stored on a hard disk drive. The actual improvement could not compare to a stand alone ssd. Intel also looked at different capacities all the way up to 512GB and concluded 64GB was the point of diminishing return. It made more sense to use a 64GB ssd as a boot drive that also contained software programs. Intel was hoping that if business clients saw an increase in performance, then they would be induced to purchase larger capacity ssd's that promised an even greater boost in performance.

A lot has changed sinced then, especially prices. Might as well take full advantage of ssd performance.

Thanks, a case of new tech soon becoming old tech....

What i meant was running the 2 SSD's in parallel (RAID) to improve performance as they are
the best i can afford at the moment. The 2 units cost $115 for 120GB of space.
In all honesty they probably only need to fill 2 SATA2 ports... (as opposed to SATA3)
Oh for a large shiny new Sata III SSD, ah well maybe in 12 months.
I did hear there was a way to move all user files from the "C" drive to another location, ie of the boot SSD's to preserve their life - how is this accomplished (Win 7 64 bit) thanks.
m
l
Related resources
a c 308 G Storage
February 8, 2012 10:28:04 AM

There are a variety of methods used to transfer data folders and files to and from an ssd.

Transferring data files to and from an ssd is similar to transferring data files to and from a hard drive. I transfer data folders and files between my ssd, my hard drive, and my USB Flash drives using the good old Windows "drag and drop". It works for me.

One space saving technique is to save regularly scheduled Windows backup/restore files to a hard disk. When I set up the Windows automatic backup/restore I simply chose to have the files saved to my hard drive. Nothing to it. Works like a charm.

m
l

Best solution

a b G Storage
February 8, 2012 10:45:09 AM

I would RAID the two SSD's into a single partition with the OS and any main programs on it and call it good.

And of course, use the hard drives to store music/movies/data etc.
February 17, 2012 11:09:34 PM

Best answer selected by Amithlon.
m
l
March 22, 2012 9:02:08 AM

JohnnyLucky said:
There are a variety of methods used to transfer data folders and files to and from an ssd.

Transferring data files to and from an ssd is similar to transferring data files to and from a hard drive. I transfer data folders and files between my ssd, my hard drive, and my USB Flash drives using the good old Windows "drag and drop". It works for me.

One space saving technique is to save regularly scheduled Windows backup/restore files to a hard disk. When I set up the Windows automatic backup/restore I simply chose to have the files saved to my hard drive. Nothing to it. Works like a charm.

I have same Question as Amithlon , I have one 64GB ssd and one 1 TB HDD . i don't want any raid .

can i use my 64 GB SSD to install Windows 7 64 bit and use about 14 GB Portion of it for cache ?

i am not going keep any of my data like music ,video ,or movie on my ssd

does it help to increase my performance ?
m
l
May 17, 2012 4:13:09 PM

Question was a good one. Let's say you don't care how long it takes your computer to boot, but you have lots of data (over 500 GB to 1 TB) that you want the fastest possible access to without setting up a RAID.

What is the fastest way to get access to that data?

Intel SRT seems like an attractive option since it's basically "included" with the latest mobos.

BUT:

I am not sure whether you can use SRT to cache your secondary non-boot drives (D, E and so on).

AND

It would be nice to partition one big SSD, using one partition for booting and a 64 GB partition for speeding up a non-boot data drive.

Any thoughts on that?
m
l
May 18, 2012 5:40:42 PM

ratsa said:
Question was a good one. Let's say you don't care how long it takes your computer to boot, but you have lots of data (over 500 GB to 1 TB) that you want the fastest possible access to without setting up a RAID.

What is the fastest way to get access to that data?

Intel SRT seems like an attractive option since it's basically "included" with the latest mobos.

BUT:

I am not sure whether you can use SRT to cache your secondary non-boot drives (D, E and so on).

AND

It would be nice to partition one big SSD, using one partition for booting and a 64 GB partition for speeding up a non-boot data drive.

Any thoughts on that?

Thanks for your answer but you are too late currently i am using Windows 8 consumer preview with 1 TB hard drive and 64 GB ssd as intel SRT tech it's working nice . I get faster access to my file , software and my system start whiten 40 to 50 second
m
l
!