***PLEASE READ, I need help***

G

Hello everyone. I'm having some problems with my windows network. I have more than 8+ computers networked together, with all of them using a DSL router to connect to the Internet.

My problem is on my main machine. I'm not sure how it happened, but I was rebooting my machine after it locked up, when it restarted I noticed that it bypassed the login screen and went right to the desktop. I found this a bit odd and checked neighborhood network; no computers there and I could not access the Internet from IE. I rebooted a few more times and still the same thing. So I uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled them with the same results. I noticed that after I reinstalled the drivers that the TCP/IP protocol in the network properties screen it only displayed TCP/IP and not what it normally displays: TCP/IP -> 3COM NIC

I tried installing netbeui and I could get the login screen but only connect to Windows 95 and NT computers. I could also not connect to my router since that uses TCP/IP. I figured out that the problem lies with the TCP/IP protocol. I tried to swap NIC cards with another one of my computers, same results on my main machine and on the other one my card works perfectly. I tried several brand new cards with the same results.

Does anyone have a solution to this problem? I have tried everything possible. I even tried restoring the registry a few days back with no success.

If you have gotten this far thank you for reading this.

-Norman

BrainStorm

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Did you tried uninstaling/reinstalling "Microsoft network client"? I had this problem with a Win95A machine, at this time, I upgraded to Win95B and all was ok.

It's better to be rich and healthy than poor and sick!

G

I would remove everything from the network properties window (MS network service, TCPIP, Netbui, sharing,...) and reboot the machine. Reinstall your nic and then check the protocols. If you have DUN of any sort installed add it too.

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
It sounds like your machine has los the network card. Check in device manager and see if it has a yellow exclamation next to it. Try deleting and reinstalling it/the drivers.

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details