Windows 8 opinions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tlight131

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
I don't know how anyone else feels, and I know you probably don't care about my opinion, but I'm going to give it anyways.

I am a Macintosh user, but for shits and giggles I installed the beta windows 8 on my windows machine. I have always hated windows, I have always pictured running a windows platform like tightly duct taping Usain Bolts chest as tightly as possible and asking him to beat his world records. But windows 8 runs very very well on my old dell, I have a core 2 quad but only 4 gigs of ram, and it runs beautifully, with Vista my CPU ran an average idle load at 5.4% but with 8 she's running a cool 1.1% percent average and as oppose to running at 51 degrees cpu temp average at idle she's averaging 43 degrees. Everything seems smoother and a little more coordinated, it is sometimes clunky trying to get from one task to another, but im sure SOME of that will be smoothed out when it's released. Its going to be a sweet mobile platform. I am impressed though with what I saw, and always being a mac guy I can tell that they are chasing a mac like platform. Im sure some of the die hard windows guys wont like it, I know some of the guys that I work with at best buy are not as impressed, but I don't really game, and I don't really screw around with my computer, graphic design, and movie editing those are my weapons of choice.

Like I said, just my opinion. :)

Solution
With all honesty I appreciate how you decided to download Win8. People I know who are windows fanboys didn't give a hell about W8CP.
I'm just saying that you're kinda claiming that all video editors use mac, and Windows is just for those who screw around with their computers.
Don't get me wrong, not trying to bash you down or something. I'm just saying that at least do give less hate on Windows.

Btw, just wishing a good luck with that student loan too. At least you're not like most of the mac fanboys I know who says I like macs just because it doesn't have viruses and because it has mission control and flicks.
I am sorry, that is the best joke i have ever heard. Saying windows is a restricted platform compared to a mac, which can barely run any useful software is just... classic. Windows 8 won't be smoothed out. You are confused about windows. Windows 8 is just windows 7 (which the rest of the world has been using for years) with a horrible clunky UI slapped on top. Basically the performance parts you think are good have been there for years, you just don't know it since you refused to use a real OS. Honestly it cracks me up that you think they are "chasing a mac" when mac has always been so far behind.

Honestly you lost all credibility with this statement "I know some of the guys that I work with at best buy are not as impressed, but I don't really game, and I don't really screw around with my computer". No one who works at best buy knows anything about computers. And... Well. you use a Mac. Of course you don't try to get your computer to perform since macs can't

1) Being a fanboy of mac or PC (or linux) is just silly. They all have their strong and weak points.

2) If Vista was your only real experience on a PC then it explains a lot, the only Windows OS worse than Vista was ME (In my opinion at least). After the service packs it ran a little better, but still not fluid like Win7 or XP.

3)If you are still using a Mac for doing video and photo (especially Adobe), then you are missing out as most programs work much faster on the Windows side of things (at the moment at least). Macs still reign supreme for low maintenance machines, and have some really beautiful designs on their hardware, but they are not the performance kings they once were (especially when you consider a comparably priced PC)... granted that could all change very quickly. That being said, I use a mac at my church and would be hard pressed to find better display software for the PC side.

4) Best Buy employees are mostly morons (granted there is SOME intelligent life there, but it is not the norm). In fact I would go a step further and say that if the person you are getting technical opinions from is a sales person and not a seasoned professional, then you need to find some better advisers.

Anywho, on to the main point: I have installed win8 on my Atom netbook, as well as my monster i7 desktop (which I use for video editing as a side job), and it works quite well on both. The netbook is pretty slick as it is a touch screen device, and win8 is made to be used with touchscreen. For the desktop PC everything works perfectly. I did the upgrade, and there were just a few old trans-coding tools i had to re-install to get them to work properly, everything else worked perfectly from the upgrade (with the exception of Security Essentials which is replaced by Windows Defender). As far as hardware utility I am not noticing any major changes in productivity over win7, but I do like the new copy window that shows the speed of the copy instead of just the progress, and I absolutely love the new taskmanager! It is truly a thing of beauty.

As for the metro UI, I am not entirely sold on it yet, but I don't dislike it either. I played with it a few days to test things out, and I organized it nicely to get the layout I wanted, but now that it is nearing a week I find that I simply never use it anymore. Even in XP and 7 I only used the start menu to access the control panel, and to turn it off, both of which are now on the charms menu, which finally makes the start menu entirely unnecessary, which is a plus in my opinion. However, when I was using it I had no trouble at all switching between it and the classic desktop, and I felt everything works pretty well on that end of things.

In short; It works, it works well, it adds a lot of potential with the Metro UI without forcing you to use it all the time, It has excellent backwards compatibility, and with LiveID there will be some really awesome connectivity between it an WP8 which will be released at about the same time. My favorite part about it is that after a mere week I feel at home on it on both my keys/mouse configuration, as well as my tablet/netbook configuration, which was the biggest complaint I had with the Dev release where I felt you need both the keys/mouse as well as the touch screen to properly access all of the features it offered. There are some things to still work out (like why the weather app, and a few other metro apps, take 20sec to load on my i7 computer with 16GB of ram), but for the most part it is well done.

In the end I will stick with Win7 this time around. I simply have too many machines to pay for new OSs for all of them, and Win8 does not add that much more functionality to my workflow (though it does add a little). In 2-3 years when I am finally ready to jump on the smartphone bandwagon (or rather when smartphone start showing some amount of intelligence over my 'dumbphone' that can also do e-mail, chat, video chat, etc without the high plan cost) then it may be worth it to get Win8 (or 9 by then now that they are back on a 2 year cycle?), but at the moment I think Win8 looks good, just not good enough to change out 5 computers (lol, that's well over $600 in OS).

Tlight131

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
I didn't call 8 restricted? Putting words in my mouth.

I have 6 computers 2 dells, and 4 macs 3 mac pros (2003, 2006, 2008) and the 27 inch imac from last year.

I have a masters in New Media Graphic Design I would run windows if it was truly the better option, but for reliability and speed Mac is better.

I am a huge Windows fan, but to say that Mac has ALWAYS been far behind is simply dumb. For years Mac OS was much faster and better suited to productivity software (well... so long as you used one piece of software at a time because it could not multitask), it was only OS9 that fell behind windows 2000/ME, but then OSX kicked XP's butt all over the place. Vista was slow, but finally brought Windows to a place to really run high class Video/Audio/Photo editing software like you could on the Mac (and have it run just as fast as the mac could if paired with the right hardware), and then Win7 just jumped light years ahead of OSX. Yes, Mac OS is a very restricted platform, but that is what made it so much more stable, and lent it better to audio and video work in the past. Also Win8 is not Win7, it is a nearly ground up rewrite like Vista was, but because it uses many of the same protocols and software handling it is merely highly compatible to win7 and has a very similar desktop UI, but do not confuse UI for what the OS is or how it does things in the background; They are very different monsters.

I do agree though, Mac and Windows are not chasing each-other, but they are both racing to the same ideal though. They both want a unified OS to run on mobile and workstation class machines. Mac is going for separate desktop and mobile platforms that share a common UI, while Windows is trying to use the same kernel for both platforms. I think Windows approach is the way to go as it will have the fewest bumps in the long run, and the largest amount of interoperability and compatibility, but Mac could easily catch up. Also, the move to HTML5 and Java means that metro programs will be just as compatible with Mac and Linux because those languages are high level enough to not be tied to the OS in any way (and in fact during the Build conference they showed that you could take the same program and port it to a web browser which could be opened on any computer regardless of the OS). Not so true for the desktop side of things, but it does go to show that the OS is becoming a browser handler rather than an application and hardware platform.

Tlight131

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
I work and live in an area where the closest computer store is 60 miles away and the next closest best buy is 150 miles away we are the only place that services, sells and instructs on computers for about 200000 people.

And I'm working two jobs because I have 150000 dollars in student loans to pay.

Don't start talking poop because you're not happy with your life son. You're being ignorant and just proclaiming what your running is better because you've never used a Mac and if you know anything about vinyl cutters, plotters and presses they play better with PCs I have a fair share of experiance with both. (this is too the one poster who shows zero respect, and only tore me apart for giving my opinion)

antherion

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
"I don't really game, and I don't really screw around with my computer, graphic design, and movie editing those are my weapons of choice."
What does screwing around with computer has to do with Windows, and graphic design as well as movie editing have to do with Macs?

"but for reliability and speed Mac is better."
My Windows 7 never crashed for two years. I am using an E8400 and 8GB of RAM, renders a whole lot with passive cooling (V6GT fans off—55C), RAM touches 99% and CPU constantly 100% and doesn't crash at all. How can you say that that is not reliable?
And are you sure that your iMac is faster than i7-3930K?

"You're being ignorant and just proclaiming what your running is better because you've never used a Mac and if you know anything about vinyl cutters, plotters and presses they play better with PCs I have a fair share of experiance with both."
And you're claiming that all people have tried Macs will prefer Macs?
You're claiming that editing is better on Macs?
Sure thing...
I use After Effects and Premiere. No different in UI. I can split screen and can see both the menu bars (file, edit, etc.) which I like more.
I use Maya. Smaller on Windows for the menu bar - doesn't make any difference. Hotkeys are adjustable.
I used a ton of Macs and got sick of it. I prefer Windows Key + 34567. It's just all personal preference.

Me? Editing on Mac's fine. I prefer Windows, but I'm okay with Mac for work too. You? "I have always hated windows" -- exactly. Just saying, there's a big world out there you're missing. Maybe if you loosen your fanboyness by just a bit and use Windows 8 for a while, that will make your life with one less hate—and one more preference?
------------------------------
Don't Mac fanboys know anything about preference? They always say "once you go mac you never turn back"...

Tlight131

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
Haha.

This is the second time someone has put words in my mouth. It's always been about personal preference. Never said it wasn't. Some people don't like macs. I have windows Vista and I've never had it crash or had real serious problems either.

When it comes to computers it's like arguing with a Christian. They're never EVER going to let you have your opinion, it's theirs and only theirs.

Good Luck!

antherion

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
With all honesty I appreciate how you decided to download Win8. People I know who are windows fanboys didn't give a hell about W8CP.
I'm just saying that you're kinda claiming that all video editors use mac, and Windows is just for those who screw around with their computers.
Don't get me wrong, not trying to bash you down or something. I'm just saying that at least do give less hate on Windows.

Btw, just wishing a good luck with that student loan too. At least you're not like most of the mac fanboys I know who says I like macs just because it doesn't have viruses and because it has mission control and flicks.

Solution

Tlight131

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
Honestly man I don't hate on windows I wasn't trying to come across like that. I have two dells that have treated me really well.

I hate when people praise Mac for being "virus free" in all honesty they aren't it's not worth it for a hacker or developers to write viruses for suck a small margin.

Thanks man I'm trying to raise a rug rat

redeemer

Distinguished
I absolutely adore Windows 8, but then again I am running it on HP all in on pc with touch screen. The Metro UI has to be experienced with touch gestures to truly appreciate its simplicity. I still do use keyboard and mouse, when I game and for a few other things. As for browsing around the OS I use touch, another thing I like about Windows 8 is it social media integration. I just hope developers create awesome apps for it.

daship

Distinguished

At least your old Dells can run the new Microsoft OS's. 7 and 8.

Try running Lion or Mountain Lion on the old Macs. Whoops you can't, Apple dropped the CPU support to force the cult to upgrade.

I run Xp, Win7, Snow Leopard, and Lion on my custom built i72600k 4.6 GHz PC, I like OSX but Win 7 is way more usefull and faster.

Try buying a 4.6 GHz i7 Mac, oh wait not any time soon. MY PC will stomp your Imac in any performance test you want to run. Windows or OSX.

Tlight131

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
Well, someone is really opinionated today. I'm sorry that mine don't fit yours dude. I don't have to run anything that's requiring me to run at 4.6ghz, so I don't have to mess around with it I have no reason to walk around flexing my computers **** because I have one. My personal needs for a computer clearly differ from yours, my computer supports my family and I, Macs have been in the past more reliable(3 more posts coming that bash this FACT) I need my computer to last me, I went to school to start a business, and did that, and in the process had to find out what was going to make the most sense for me (and for 12 years now, it has.) So yep your computer could probably stomp my IMac, I really don't care in the least bit also I have mountain lion on three of the macs, my Dell from 5 years ago, wont run 8 so its irrelevant.

In the scheme of things man, your computer being faster then mine doesn't mean anything dude. :)

daship

Distinguished
You said "for reliability and speed Mac is better." well you were wrong. Macs can't overclock. Reliability? I doubt you have Lion on your 06 and definitely not on your 03. Everytime OSX releases a new OS there are several Major programs that aren't compatible for quite some time.

Saying Mac is better for reliability and speed is like pissing in the Wind, against the wind, it just blows right back in your face.

I doubt you have Mountain Lion on 3 Macs "Apple hopes to release Mountain Lion in the ‘wild’ in the summer of 2012. Here are a few details that are available on this new operating system. As with any new operating system, Apple’s new OS X leaves some Apple computers behind in the process. This new OS will continue the ‘be more like’ iOS theme.
This OS will not be available to the following mac computers: MacBook Air notebooks released in 2008, almost all unibody MacBooks, MacBook Pros released before June 2007, Mac Minis released before mid-2007, the 2006 and 2007 Mac Pro desktops, and Xserve computers from 2006, 2007 and 2008."

Because to of them you listed are to old according to the required specifications.

Who couldn't use 4.6 GHz faster is better is it not?

Any how a dumb thread will get you dumb responses.

Tlight131

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
Dumb thread? I was posting about Windows 8 to find out what people thought about it and you were lonely enough to tell me about your sweet machine, because I said I ran macintosh and that didn't fit into your extremely narrow view of acceptability.

I don't overclock, ever, at all, don't care too, don't need too.

daship

Distinguished
If you love your OSX have at it, the rest of us live in the real world and realize wether you got OSX, Windows or Linux, they all get the job done.

Mac is a good choice for you because it is considered one of the easier OS's for noobs and old people. You are obviously a simple person, good for you. No harm no foul.

I always have my children play on the Mac side because it is more childish of an OS compared to others.

Tlight131

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
Wow. I don't believe a dill hole such as yourself has children. Are you making up for all those years kids knocked your books out of your arms? Get a life man, take your misplaced rape rage and play basketball down at the Y or take your "kids" to the zoo. You're an ignorant fool whose ne'er touched or used a Mac. I run both to pretend that I'm not as simple as I really am.

redeemer

Distinguished
Hey FANBOYS lets put thing in perspective ok

PC windows OS has 91.86 market share the other 8% is linux Mac and SunOS

that being said you cant say the Mac OS is more reliable with only 6% of the computer market thats a joke. How can you compare 91.86 to 6%??

Tlight131

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
Money man, when you can do the same thing with one machine that costs half, people are going to buy them.

I did already mention this.

Mac is more reliable, its not what it was now, but for years they have been. No one would be profiting from a company that is selling an nsive shitty product. Mac hate is born from ignorance of the brand and just following the herd with the rest of the sheep. You will never convince me other wise, my wifes parents are born again, just like that you will never convince me that there is anything else to death but rotting in the ground. Thats my opinion. Im going to stick to it. Period.

daship

Distinguished
Of course your a mac fanboy, you are part of the cult, it is in your blood.

The only reliability you get out of a Mac is you can count on spending to much for what you get, and plan on getting a entire new model anytime you need an upgrade. And the lack of software available. Windows has 10s of thousands of more programs available to users then Mac does.

Mac fan boys are the best fanboays on the planet. They are always right no matter how many times they prove their own self wrong. It makes my day to run into a Mac fanboy.

redeemer

Distinguished

I dont mean to hate on your brand bro, it looks like it causes you great pain. When Mac OS becomes as wide spread and has millions of apps and run servers as Windows OS, then we can gloat about its security and reliablility.

Tlight131

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
You are hating, and needlessly, because you just reinforced my point. Security and reliability.

Why would it cause me pain? I like this, you have no basis for flaming me just a lonely desire to make someone else feel as you do. Thats fine, they have places for lonely, lost, and delicate people, church. Maybe Yahweh can make you feel better. We're all simple animals, some of us don't want to believe it.

Tlight131

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
I don't even identify with the brand, its not in my profile, I don't have the stickers, and you are in fact being far more dense then I am.

See arguing on the internet is like the special olympics, even if you win you're still retarded. Neither one of you would have the balls to say anything about this in real life to me, and not because I'm intimidating, because you don't like frontal conflict. Is it rape rage? Im not the one flaming people because they have different ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.