BGates2B

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I am considering to upgrade to Windows XP, but I am not sure which one. I currently have an Athlon 1.2GHz with 512 MB of SDRAM. I set up the harddrive to dual boot, into Windows 98SE for games and into Windows 2000 for work/graphics/CD-Burning. I initially tried using Windows 2000 for games but I was unhappy with it, especially with the early Detonator drivers that wouldn't allow refresh rates above 75 Hz.

Is there a difference between XP Home Edition and XP Professional when it comes to gaming? I would rather get the Professional version, but I am not sure if the gaming performance would be better in the Home Edition.

Any suggestions?

G

I believe the only difference between the Home and Pro versions is added features for Pro. If you don't mind spending the extra money for Pro and want the extra features (which I don't know of specifically), there should be no reason to not get Pro. I don't believe there is any performance differences between the two though. BTW, I am running the Home version and I play Team Fortress Classic on Half-life religiously. I have a GeForce 2 Pro with the new Detonator XP drivers for XP and it runs so smoothly at 1024x768. Hope that helped.