Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Installing Windows 8 on an SSD drive

Last response: in Windows 8
January 1, 2013 3:26:57 PM

I am currently running Windows 8 on my internal hard drive, just purchased an SSD drive an want to run Windows 8 off of it instead(I have the install disk-upgrade), what would be the best way to go about this?

More about : installing windows ssd drive

January 1, 2013 3:58:21 PM

Either way you can clone your drive into SSD or do the fresh installation.
m
l
January 1, 2013 4:06:22 PM

Fresh install would be much better, I can tell you from personal experience that cloning can be a Pain in the a**
m
l
Related resources
January 1, 2013 4:11:50 PM

mozgie said:
Either way you can clone your drive into SSD or do the fresh installation.

m
l
January 1, 2013 4:37:42 PM

cellhead said:
I am currently running Windows 8 on my internal hard drive, just purchased an SSD drive an want to run Windows 8 off of it instead(I have the install disk-upgrade), what would be the best way to go about this?

I want to do a clean install with the least amount of writing possible. An example of the system write logs log files in general any garbage files in Windows normally write how can you can turn that off in the registry?
m
l

Best solution

January 1, 2013 4:51:47 PM

Im not sure you would be able to do a clean install of 8 since you have the upgrade disk, which requires 7/xp/vista to be on the drive first. You could do a fresh install of 7 on your SSD then upgrade to 8, but if you want to go straight to 8, you would need to either buy an installation disk from Microsoft (non upgrade version) or spend a few hours on the phone with their support team to see if they would just give you one.
January 1, 2013 4:56:25 PM

Best answer selected by cellhead.
m
l
January 1, 2013 4:56:52 PM

MotherFerJones said:
Im not sure you would be able to do a clean install of 8 since you have the upgrade disk, which requires 7/xp/vista to be on the drive first. You could do a fresh install of 7 on your SSD then upgrade to 8, but if you want to go straight to 8, you would need to either buy an installation disk from Microsoft (non upgrade version) or spend a few hours on the phone with their support team to see if they would just give you one.

Thanks, that makes sense! :sol: 
m
l
!