Power surge might have damage my motherboard, but im not sure

How do I test to see if its my motherboard that's causing problems? The computer turns on, but takes forever to start now, the ASUS screen is a little laggy, Windows takes forever to boot up if it does, I think the harddrive got hit. I did a memtest on the memory and it checked out so thats ok and I replaced the PSU which definitely got hit. My surge protect got hit times before I guess it couldn't protect me anymore =( What other things can I test, I think the CPU is ok.
6 answers Last reply
More about power surge damage motherboard sure
  1. Well, you don't mention the system specs including which MB you have. If the system is booting to BIOS, the MB is working. Perhaps try resetting the CMOS jumper. Unplug the unit from the wall. Remove the CMOS bttery and reset the jumper. Instructions in the MB/system manual.
  2. My motherboard specs are:
    ASUS P5N32-E SLI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard, I will try your suggestion, I have a feeling the harddrive is a problem to, but I did Scan disk and defrag on them with no results of problems.
  3. Not finding anything about the jumper in the manual. Btw my computer seems slow down as it runs eventually it starts freezing frequently till it just stops running.
  4. You can try removing the MB battery and unpluging the unit for maybe 30 minutes and see if the BIOS defaults that way. I had a power surge recently that destroyed my MB, CPU and RAM. Also, the 680i is prone to failure. May be time to replace it. If you search around the problems and instability of the 680i are pretty well documented. Here is one interesting example of the failure of the 680i.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/nvidia680i/
  5. I actually found the jumper info right after I posted. Do I remove the battery and reset the jumper? is it safe to turn on the computer without the battery? Maybe its not the motherboard any other ideas how do I test the CPU? I did a memtest on my memory is there anything else I can use to check my hardware?
  6. Quote:
    I actually found the jumper info right after I posted. Do I remove the battery and reset the jumper?

Yes, remove the battery and unplug the unit from the wall. Move the jumper to the reset position then back to the default position. Replace the battery and reboot.

Quote:
    is it safe to turn on the computer without the battery?

No need to power the system on without the battery.

Quote:
    Maybe its not the motherboard any other ideas how do I test the CPU?

With another CPU or install your CPU in a known to work compatible MB.

Quote:
    I did a memtest on my memory is there anything else I can use to check my hardware?

Go over this Tom's stickied trobleshooting guide.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-boot-video-problems
Ask a new question

Read More

Asus Motherboards Power Surge